Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

printing on removable clear and after 80" completely tunnels!!

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by gabagoo, Jul 14, 2011.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I can understand how this happens considering it is a removable adhesive but it is designed to be printed on and I dropped my heat to 35 / 30 which is about the lowest I would go.

After about 80" the tunneling starts and it still was printing ok and i figured ok I can use a soft squeegee and get it back down.

Then I could see the tunneleing was happening behind the pinch rollers and getting worse to the point where the heads near the end of the print started hitting the vinyl.

ugggg...why sell a product if it does not work?

Look at this pic and tell me this is not complete product failure.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    It can be many things, try turning off your heaters, how warm is it in your work area?

3. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Had that happen test printing some cheappppp china stuff. I'd say poor quality material?

4. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    This product is American made and generally good stuff. I knew I would have an issue when I loaded it into the printer, before the heat was even on a tunnel formed. I figure the adhesive is not strong enough to hold onto the silicone paper.

Cant see printing with no heat and guaranteeing the finished print

5. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Try turning on the back 2 heaters, but keeping the final postheater? Just an idea, it seemed to help.

6. Rydaddy

Rydaddy Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Michigan
    I have never seen anything like that. How the....? I bet even with all the heaters off it will still buckle. In general I find clear more difficult to print on. I have a roll of cheap, cheap, cheap matte intermediate from Grimco that channels badly. Not as bad as what you showed us, but bad. It just sits behind the printer now taking up space while I print on IJ35.

7. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    What are you printing on?

8. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Mimaki is the printer, but the tunnels can form behind the pinch rollers and then thats real bad as the rollers basically pinch the vinyl off the backing paper. I think it is a defective roll at this pointcause I have used this product before and had no problems

9. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    Turn off the heaters and that should solve the problem. Just make sure to give the ink extra time to dry.

10. Custom_Grafx

Custom_Grafx Very Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    If you have used it before, and it didn't do that... either you are doing something different, or the environment is different, or you have a bad batch or something... I would also ask my supplier/rep.

11. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    not sure how your mimaki holds/dispenses the media or where the heaters are but I would guess that using media flanges would solve (or at least help the issue).

12. miker

miker Member

Nov 15, 2010
    my first reaction is that is is an old roll of material or defective

13. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    we get tunneling when we print on perf, we just turn off the heaters and that solves the problem, then we let "air dry" for 24 hrs.

14. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    I was also thinking heat. What are your heaters set on for the user profile you are printing on?

15. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    did you try only printing 79.875" tiles?