• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing On Roll White Plotter Paper With Roland VP540i?

player

I have an old roll of what I think is plotter paper. Very generic, not super light, but a good generic plotter paper.

What profile do I use to print plans for a guitar builder? The plans are like a blueprint, all lines with very little if any solid areas.

Any tricks to doing this?

Thanks

player

I have an old roll of what I think is plotter paper. Very generic, not super light, but a good generic plotter paper.

What profile do I use to print plans for a guitar builder? The plans are like a blueprint, all lines with very little if any solid areas.

Any tricks to doing this?

Thanks
Nobody ever print on bond paper?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What weight paper ?? 20lb...... 80lb...... what ??

Is it coated or not ??

Bigdawg

Just Me
We tried printing on an old roll of bond with an SP540 a few years ago. The paper isn't made for a solvent printer, so there really is no profile. The issues were the paper absorbed the ink and it look blotted - so no good for detail. But... I would think for your purposes that if you did the lines light enough and used a profile that takes into account absorption (like maybe the PMP3 profile for premium matte paper) you might be able to get a usable print out of it. Not anything I think you could sell to a customer, but if this is for a friend or yourself it may work just fine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just try a synthetic profile or something close to some kinda paper. If your paper is not coated, it will most likely not print clearly and wick out a little bit. It always has a washed out appearance.

player

We tried printing on an old roll of bond with an SP540 a few years ago. The paper isn't made for a solvent printer, so there really is no profile. The issues were the paper absorbed the ink and it look blotted - so no good for detail. But... I would think for your purposes that if you did the lines light enough and used a profile that takes into account absorption (like maybe the PMP3 profile for premium matte paper) you might be able to get a usable print out of it. Not anything I think you could sell to a customer, but if this is for a friend or yourself it may work just fine.

Is there a way to back off the ink density or the amount it shoots down?

bannertime

Is it too wide to run through your plotters? I use the pen tool once or twice a year to make templates and what not.

InstantOneMedia

A friend wanted to create some guitar plans on some thin plastic he purchased at a local art supply store. So we printed it onto some gloss laminate and ran it through our laminator creating a clear guitar blueprint for him to use.

player

A friend wanted to create some guitar plans on some thin plastic he purchased at a local art supply store. So we printed it onto some gloss laminate and ran it through our laminator creating a clear guitar blueprint for him to use.
Problem with that is it will shrink, and when making guitars shrinking plans is not good.

I notice Staples sells coated HP paper... I would assume this is for water based inks?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In your 'Color Adjustment' you can try lowering the level adjustment.

It's still gonna try to give you the color you want, by using less ink. It will just look more washed out on the kinda paper you wanna use. Ya just hafta tell your customer..... it's not made for cheap paper products. It's an expensive machine, meant to print onto specific medias, but not really paper. So print out a small sample and see if it meets his approval.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Problem with that is it will shrink, and when making guitars shrinking plans is not good.

I notice Staples sells coated HP paper... I would assume this is for water based inks?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Many kinds of paper are coated, to prevent wicking out. Coated stock for aqueous printers, I doubt you can get in Staples.... for your size printer.

player

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Many kinds of paper are coated, to prevent wicking out. Coated stock for aqueous printers, I doubt you can get in Staples.... for your size printer.
Thanks Gino. I checked Staples and they sell the HP Coated Paper. It seems to be for HP printers, which I would assume are the older tech water based type. One supplier has a sample roll of what I want, 30" x 20' for $50 bucks. I will buy it, but in the mean time I will experiment with what I have. A friend said to slow the printer down and use the setting where the head only prints one pass, not both ways. This is to let the ink dry. I will be printing fine lines like a plotter, so we shall see what happens with my paper later today.

If anyone has any other ideas please keep them coming!

MikePro

i printed on paper with our solvent mimaki jv3, always for patterns too large for the plotter.
I just made my lines a 20-30%black, and printed with ICC Profiles turned off.