• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Wood

N Design

We have a Colorspan 72uvx in the shop and was wondering how printing on wood turns out? Does the ink soak in the wood? Do you have to treat the surface of the wood first?

SignManiac

I printed a wood grain pattern last week but instead of wood I printed it on 1/2" pvc. I then put down a paint mask and v-carved my lettering into that, sprayed with Krylon paint and it came out nice.

Printing UV on wood wouldn't soak in. UV inks cure solid on the surface and can't be absorbed.

Attachments

• CIMG1916.JPG
    CIMG1916.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 110

synergy_jim

we have printed various patterns on wood with the gandi flatbed.

It looks really good. You can still see the wood grain in the print, but it looks amazing...

MachServTech

UV ink and wood works well, I have never had to treat any wood surface before printing, but be sure to clean it, your print heads will thank you later.

SignManiac

One additional word of advice if you're printing on wood, make absolutely sure your head height is set correct. Print heads striking hard wood are expensive to replace. I witnessed last week a head strike from someone else attempting to print on a raised panel cabinet door. The sound of that strike will send shivers up your spine...

Jillbeans

I bet Norm Abrams could print it just by gazing at it long enough...
hahahahaha
You could also get one of those little woodburning kits at Toys R Us.
I am teasing!
Love....Jill

sarge

what woodburing kits do they sell at toys r us? :doh: .. we use colwood woodburners here .. there are very good for making fish scales and bird feathers

OCsteve

We print on wood with our Zund 215 + and get great results. You have to make sure that the wood is flat. Our best material has been 1/2" Russian Birch plywod.

fatdogvw

I used to run a durst pictor and I printed on a ton of wood. prints turn out nice and ink bond very well to wood when dry.