• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing onto 970RA...is it possible?

TSC1985

We are trying to create some cool new fleet graphics and though being able to print onto Gold Metallic 970RA would be cool. After a few attempts its not coming out so good. Has any one done this before? Are there any tips and tricks that we haven't thought of yet?

We are using XR-640 and have tried double pass with a white undercoat and everything comes out kind of muddy and there seems to be lots of particulate underneath.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

ams

You can print on anything, but generally it won't last long and will be terrible quality.
Try applying the wrap and then put cut vinyl lettering on it after. Or else just get a printable wrap film.

TSC1985

We print on wrapping cast all the time with our latex, could it be sediment in your white ink causing the particulates?

Here is what the black looks like. We wiped down with Alcohol and it just doesn't seem to to want to settle evenly onto the laminate of the film.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160420_094623.jpg
    20160420_094623.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 214

Ponto

I've had stunning results with the 3M 1080 line and the only time we tried Avery media, the results were similar to your Oracal media..........try switching over to 3M.......

JP

TSC1985

I've had stunning results with the 3M 1080 line and the only time we tried Avery media, the results were similar to your Oracal media..........try switching over to 3M.......

JP

Do you mean the color 1080 wrapping cast films? (not the 180cv3 white print media). Because I have seen those done a lot more than Oracal. If you do print using Ecosolvent do you have any advice for how to make it.....work?

TSC1985

I've found laying too much ink over a white prime on the XR-640 creates muddy results regardless of the media.

May or may not help in your case...but what I do when I need a white prime:

Send down the file using the "W" only setting, with return to base point checked. (will print your prime then come back to beginning)

Change the same file to print "cmyk" only, and send down again. (uncheck return to base point)

I've had to print lots of files like this on clear and it produced decent results.

Registration does come into play on long runs so keep that in mind.

Otherwise I found the w+cmyk profiles didn't give the white enough time to cure before laying down the cmyk ink, resulting in lousy pooled prints.

Good luck, hopefully you find a way to get it to work. :thumb:

I dont think it is so much the white base that is the issue as much as the media. But I was goin g to mess around with some clear decals today so this advice is very well timed, thank you!