• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Opacity/Transparency Problems - Adobe files to VersaWorks

pazaz

I received a document from a new potential "big" client of ours (a Design Firm) that they designed in InDesign and is ready to be printed.
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
They want to see some small sections of their “actual files” printed to check the print before we print the entire project. I’m having transparency issues with their files. The InDesign file they have supplied to me includes a linked AI file that is using 70% white opacity in Illustrator (it’s a swirly shape image used as a watermark) that is placed over a solid pantone color in InDesign. They also have some white text that is converted to paths in InDesign that has a 50% opacity that is placed over a duotone photo.
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
Is there a technique that I’m not aware of that I need to use to print these files types off files. I’ve printed out their little section samples and the transparency’s are not working. I have tried exporting these files as PDFs straight out of InDesign (on the MacPro) and as saving them as EPS files and using Distiller to covert them over to PDFs. When I’ve done either of these, I get no “watermark image” printed in the background or having the “watermark image” printed at 100% straight white.
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
There are four 4’ by 7’ signs built at 100% in one document so the file is huge. Please let me know if you know what I can do to fix this problem or if I need our client to do something on their end. (I've already talked to them and they say they don't know what to do, just want it done)

Thanks!

OADesign

ive had this prob before. I just saved the file as an RGB tiff (you will have to do the math to scale down to get a reasonable file size.) Then print in versaworks. you may also have to do some additional tweaks to maintain that PMS color in the flattened rgb tiff file.