• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing over 1/4 inch on Colorspan5465UV flatbed

ScottyDoo

All you guys are now part of the HP family. No worries they will fix all your issues make you money to buy more fire power...

We are a very proud HP/Scitex Platinum partner.

HP will turn all Colorspans coal into gold......

And that would be wonderful...but if it doesn't happen in the next 3 months then they'll be losing our business.

We've had 5 huge jobs (for us) from a client that range from 40-50 4x8 sheets of 3mil sintra. He's in the exhibit business, so turnaround times are short, and we've only been able to produce 2 of the 5 jobs so far. The machine died within the first 4 sheets of the other jobs and we had to outsource to a competitor and pay rush (usually overnight) charges and end up losing money on the job just to get it done. That's ridiculous if you ask me. He's got his largest show of the year and will be bringing us a new order this week that is larger than any we've done before and this will be the real test. If we can't make it through this job then the machine goes bye bye.

THull

An HP tech came last week and re-certified our colorspan. He replaced some tubes and other things to make it more reliable. Also, the techs the week before leveled out our input and output tables and our 48 x 96 x 1/4" scooterboard has now been feeding great. We've been very happy with our colorspan...at least for this week.

Anyone have any ideas for better ink adhesion on the scooterboard? Currently we wipe it down with 91% IPA and print with both lamps wide open. We tried using something called "Bond-Aid" made by Triangle to pretreat the board, but didn't really have much of an effect.

The ink holds, but even after curing for a few days, you can still scratch it with a fingernail.

KudzuKenny

Troubles with the Colorspan 5465

I know this an old thread, but I'm having troubles all of a sudden where my grip rollers won't even pull through a 3/16" piece of corplast? Suggestions?

artbot

i used a jv3 with raised heads and a home built feed table system. my printer was not at all designed to ever do this so i had to invent a few things. one thing that i always did with my printer is raise the back of the rear feed table about 1/4" or more and lower the front of the outfeed table. not sure of the physics attached to this but the substrate would track better and feed easier. it's not really "down hill" but it would seem to reduce friction/drag on the sheet a bit, more so (important) it would increase pressure on the bottom grit roller.

player

Would it help to put a bungee cord from the printer to the end of the board to help push it in? Not taught enough to screw things up, but enough to assist going into the machine.

FrankW

The problem is that this kind of flatbed-printers (not only colorspan, but roland, mutoh etc. too ...) feeds the media through regular pinch and track rollers (like roll printers), what gives huge problems depending of kind, grip and maximum weight of the media. Colorspan is now owned by HP, some colorspan staff is working at HP now. Perhaps ask there.