• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing pantone and sherwin william colors

Airborneltp

So I work for a sign company and having problems creating pantone and shermin William colors. The monitor shows the color but printing is no where near where I need to be. So I have to mix and match and play with it.... is there an easier way?

J Hill Designs

print out color charts and match accordingly. there is no 'easy button'. Having a custom profile helps for wysiwyg screen to printer matching, but never foolproof.

So I work for a sign company and having problems creating Pantone and Sherwin William colors. The monitor shows the color but printing is no where near where I need to be. So I have to mix and match and play with it.... is there an easier way?

There is a far more accurate and intelligent way, but I don't know that I would characterize it as entirely 'easier'. Many RIP software products (you don't mention which RIP you are using), and popular design programs already contain references to Pantone PMS colors in them. Most of these same RIPs also allow users to create their own 'custom' colors, which can be any name that the user desires, including Sherwin Williams colors in your scenario. You would need a physical specimen of the custom color to measure from.

There are two 'gotchas' to this:

1. You would need a spot color measurement device to obtain an accurate definition of the sample. A spectrophotometer such as an i1 is very widely used, and a new group of less expensive measurement instruments are now coming into the market. I am referring to the Swatchmate Cube, and the Nix Color Sensor, among others. The device should be able to define the color using LAB color model for best results.

2. You would need a design application that gives you the ability to define custom spot colors. Adobe Illustrator is one such design tool, but there are others I am reasonably sure.

Using a file format like EPS or PDF, the RIP could be configured to parse and look for the named spot color, and assuming that it finds it, it will rely on the ICC profile for the media in question to attempt to reproduce the reference color as closely as possible, within the gamut limitations that are imposed on us all in the world of digital print. A custom-built media profile that includes an accurate ICC profile will yield the most accurate simulation possible of the reference (Pantone or Sherwin Williams paint in this case) color.

Ok.... well that sounds complicated.... I use postershop here for my rip software

Actually, with ONYX Postershop and Adobe Illustrator, the hard work has been done for you by the developers of the applications. Both products already include Pantone Spot Color Tables in them, and that eliminates the need to take any measurements for Pantone PMS colors. All you need to do is to:

1. Use the desired Pantone library in Illustrator (solid coated for example). Fill the objects with Pantone colors.
2. Save as EPS or PDF, as these formats support spot colors.
3. Bring the file into Postershop using a QuickSet that looks for spot colors. This QuickSet selection is made in the Open dialog in Onyx. This means that the checkbox 'Use Spot Color Replacement Table' is checked in the Edit QuickSet dialog. Please see attachment for a screen shot of this.
4. In the Job Editor / Preflight dialog, choose the desired media product. If you make a change to the media, be sure to apply the change (at the bottom of the Preview and Size tab in Job Editor). The job will re-process the color mix based on the new media chosen.

The Sherwin Williams colors are not in ONYX or Illustrator, and they would need to be defined in both programs (design and Onyx). A pretty inexpensive spot color measurement spectro device can be used for this. I have been evaluating the Swatchmate Cube and it seems to work pretty well for a device that costs less than $200.

http://www.swatchmate.com/

Attachments

• Edit_QS.JPG
    Edit_QS.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 106

dypinc

Sherwin William colors are Pantone 032 C and 293 C.

If you can't hit those then you have a color management problem. 293 C might be tough depending how much gamut you can get out of your printer

Sherwin William colors are Pantone 032 C and 293 C.

If you can't hit those then you have a color management problem. 293 C might be tough depending how much gamut you can get out of your printer

Did I miss where the OP mentioned any specific Pantone or Sherwin Willliams paint colors?