• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Photoshop Files

hotboxdp

I created a file, 4"x6" rectangle with the word 'test' in the middle. Illustrator with a white background and one with no fill, the same one in my FlexiSign program with a transparent background and one in Photoshop with a transparent background. I saved them all as PDF files and printed. All the prints only printed the word 'text' except the Photoshop which printed a faint fill in the rectangle instead of transparent. All printed from the same print manager with the same profile.

Why is there always some kind of fill from the Photoshop files? Doesn't matter whether it's a pdf, tiff, jpg?

J Hill Designs

Photoshops pdf export may have different ICC settings on your system..

I created a file, 4"x6" rectangle with the word 'test' in the middle. Illustrator with a white background and one with no fill, the same one in my FlexiSign program with a transparent background and one in Photoshop with a transparent background. I saved them all as PDF files and printed. All the prints only printed the word 'text' except the Photoshop which printed a faint fill in the rectangle instead of transparent. All printed from the same print manager with the same profile.

Why is there always some kind of fill from the Photoshop files? Doesn't matter whether it's a pdf, tiff, jpg?

alevye

A.L. Sherut
Hello. This is caused because any file generated using Photoshop is a bitmap file, that means that all the image data in the file is created using small dots according with the file or document assigned resolution. In some cases it is also possible to create a semi-vector or raster file using Photoshop but it never will be the same as a file generated by a true-vector software as Illustrator or Flexisign Editor, etc (files denominated Raster files, not bitmap).

Most of the RIP Softwares or Print Managers (as you called) used to print the files to a large-format printers, create the same result you are getting in the background of your Test file using a bitmap file created or edited and saved with Photoshop. This is basically created or generated by the media-color profile you assign to print your file, that even a white or transparent background is priinted using a really tiny small dots of Black ink and in some cases even with CMYK dots. You can prevent this effect in several ways but depends in the RIP Software you are using to print.

Good luck
Regards