• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing problem could be encoder strip?

tomence

I started printing some signs which are 12"x18" and it had some gray in it and i have put two signs next to each other on 30" vinyl material. The problem is the gray color between the right sign and left sign is different. Like for the left sign gray color is perfect but for the right sign gray color is like more grainy or less gray then the other one. Could it be the encoder strip not bein clean or is there something else to it. BTW i have Roland FJ52 converted to eco solvent inks using original eco sol max inks.

Kendo

In my experience, Greys (particularly lighter shades) are notoriously hard to print. Sometimes they print as intended and somethimes they come out 'grainy' as you have experienced.
The exact same file will print a slightly different shade if it is output as an .eps, .pdf or .jpeg
This doesn't really sound like an encoder stip problem that I have encountered.
Cleaning it may help, BUT be very careful and very gentle as you do it -it is easily damaged. I use a light, lint free 'glasses' type cleaning cloth.
If I have to print a number of Grey panels I do it as the one 'job' so that at least there should be some consistence of shade/colour. I'd be interested to see what other have to say on this....

tomence

But see my problem is i dont print few different file formats i print direct from flexi and i just tile the signs next to each other so i get two in a row. But my problem is why the left side sign is better than the right side sign. Another thing is its not only the Gray color any color it is just happened to be the gray this time.

cdiesel

I think your most likely culprit is inconsistent heat along the platen. Do you have an IR thermometer? Can you read the temperature along the width of the platen and see what you get?

tomence

I think your most likely culprit is inconsistent heat along the platen. Do you have an IR thermometer? Can you read the temperature along the width of the platen and see what you get?

That's a good question, i dont have an IR thermometer but when i touch the platens they feel evenly hot but checking with thermometer should give a better idea. Also wanted to mention this is happening in Highspeed Mode only, if i disable highspeed mode no problem but when enabled thats when the problem starts. And i really like to print in highspeed this printers are slow anyway and to not be able to print in highspeed sucks.

The FJ converted does not print very well with the newer EcoSol max inks. Yes, heat is your best friend to get the best print you're able, of course media choice is always important to get a great print. With the FJ you've got an uphill battle.

tomence

The FJ converted does not print very well with the newer EcoSol max inks. Yes, heat is your best friend to get the best print you're able, of course media choice is always important to get a great print. With the FJ you've got an uphill battle.

I was wondering about the ink to because everyone i know that has the same printer or CJ500 uses third party inks, also that guys from solventprinterconversion they always used third party ink but they are the ones telling me to use original eco sol max inks but i could never get a good print no matter what i do. Now they told they got FJ setup with eco sol max inks and now i am waiting for reply from them.