• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing problem with Mutoh VJ-1204

identity78

I'm having a printing issue with the Mutoh ValueJet 1204. There are red edges printing around the black. see attach file. What could be causing this? I have done a head clean three or four times.

Attachments

• printingproblem.jpg
    printingproblem.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 293

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That's a head alignment issue. Did this just happen out of the blue or has something changed recently like replacing the print head or a really bad head strike?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It looks like someone might have reset the bi-directional alignments back to default. You are going to want to go into the service mode and check the alignments and adjust them if need be. A quick way to test this theory is to print the same file in uni-directional mode. if the problem goes away, it has to be the bi-directional alignments. If the problem stays the same, you might have electrical issues.

Also, move the head to the middle of the platen and kneel down so that you can see the space between the head and the platen. Make sure the head is parallel with the platen. If it isn't, you might have had a head strike that knocked the head out of place which is rare but does happen occasionally.

identity78

It looks like someone might have reset the bi-directional alignments back to default. You are going to want to go into the service mode and check the alignments and adjust them if need be. A quick way to test this theory is to print the same file in uni-directional mode. if the problem goes away, it has to be the bi-directional alignments. If the problem stays the same, you might have electrical issues.

Also, move the head to the middle of the platen and kneel down so that you can see the space between the head and the platen. Make sure the head is parallel with the platen. If it isn't, you might have had a head strike that knocked the head out of place which is rare but does happen occasionally.

I moved he head to the middle and the head is not parallel with the platen.

identity78

Im going to take the plastic cover over the dampers off and see if I can adjust it that way. If not we'll have to call a service person to come fix it

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Once you have the damper retainer and dampers off, there is a black plastic bracket that you need to take off as well. The two screws in the front of the bracket will release it. Once that is off, wiggle the head back and forth and left to right until it settles down into place. There are no screws holding the head in so it should move freely.