Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing problem

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Sydcee, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Sydcee

Sydcee New Member

May 1, 2017
    New Jersey
    We are designing in photoshop & adobe & bringing the files into Flexi to print but are getting poor quality prints. Any tips?

Tags:
  2. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    Define what you mean by poor quality?

Color off?

Pixelation?

3. Sydcee

Sydcee New Member

May 1, 2017
    New Jersey
    Not vibrant colors. If I create a similar file in flexi the colors are much better. And the CMYK on both are the same

4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    You're probably sending Adobe files with a color profile attached. I save without color conversion and let Flexi handle it. Been using a canned Flexi profile with great results.

5. Sydcee

Sydcee New Member

May 1, 2017
    New Jersey
    I was thinking it had to be how it was coming over being I was using the same cmyk. Being I am just now dabbling into the adobe /Photoshop could you enlighten me on how to save it without the color conversion? would save me a lot of time

6. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office

Here ya go.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    By bringing in to print do you mean to the Flexi design program then to print? Why not just drop in a hot folder(print que) and print using Flexi Print Manager?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sydcee

Sydcee New Member

May 1, 2017
    New Jersey
    Ill try that. but should I save the file a certain way first?

9. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    My guidelines for our printing
    1st - PDF with fonts converted. Especially if gradients and/or pantone colors are present.
    2nd - Tiff If all or majority is raster
    3rd - eps Can be used but only if there are no gradients and color variation isn't a concern

That's as simple as I can make it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sydcee

Sydcee New Member

May 1, 2017
    New Jersey
    Thank You I will try it

11. Sydcee

Sydcee New Member

May 1, 2017
    New Jersey
    Thank You

12. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Nope, what you see in the dialog box I posted is it.

Open Production Manager in Flexi then add job.
    Once loaded into PM you can double click the job. This will open up your settings.
    I just ran a job like this using 3640 Orajet with the canned profile and it turned out great.(Mutoh 1624X)

13. Sydcee

Sydcee New Member

May 1, 2017
    New Jersey
    Got it, trying to get back to shop to try it

14. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    We only use PDF for production here. If your RIP supports PDF, there's no reason to use anything else, as it's far more versatile than EPS or TIFF.

If you encounter problems with how your RIP interprets a PDF, there are several compatibility presets you can use called PDF/X, which will simplify the format of the PDF file. And if you ever really need to flatten the file to an image, you can do that in Acrobat, within the PDF file. No need to export to TIFF from Illustrator, which takes much longer.

15. Sydcee

Sydcee New Member

May 1, 2017
    New Jersey
    pdf for large files also?
    the pdf/x presets are in flexi's production manager?

16. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    PDF/X presets are in Illustrator/Photoshop/Indesign. I don't know which one works best with Flexi's RIP, but my approach is normally to use X1A on complex designs, because it's the oldest, most compatible, and part of that is because it flattens transparencies.

17. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Depends.
    - A file that is all vector will produce the smallest file size when sent as pdf (quickest RIP speed).
    - Raster images may be downsampled "too much" (depends on your specific pdf settings). If the majority is raster then tif is fine but no more than 150dpi.
    - A file that is text heavy will "bloat" when choosing to convert fonts to curves in a pdf whereby increasing the RIP speed. (use tiff)
    - Things can also get "out of whack" when transparencies and other odd effects are used (again tif)
    - Almost all 3rd party pdf files we receive need to be fixed and or checked in some way and if you're not careful you won't see what anomalies have been dropped in/dropped out.especially text not converted that has characters "ti" the dot over the eye will drop out altogether. We've had to resort to opening the pdf file with photoshop/flatten and save as a tiff.