• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing problem

messmedia

So, I have a printing problem.

I was printing graphics for a citylight, so it's gonna be backlit.
I use euromedia' Moonlight paper, 135 gsm paper build for citylights.

Now, in my VersaWorks, I don't have profile for this kind of material, or, I don't know the name of it, so I tried several profiles.

With ll of them I get the same - coor won't dry. It's so wet, it drips down a little at places with dark colors. Tech guy adviced to drop down print temperature, and boost dry temp., and also, to slow down printing, which I did, but with no sucsess - colors are not dry, and they are really blotchy, like, normal color with big spots of lighter color on it. My guess is it's cause it is not dry.

Anyway, can i please have some advice on this? What profile do You use, is there any catch to it?

P.S. - I tried to find profile at euromedia's site, but couldn't find material on site, only through google search - http://www.euromedia.eu.com/pictures/pdfproductinfos/English/Measures/EMSOMLP-Measures.pdf

Also, at roland dga site, i tried to find profile for similar material, but I just don't know what is it called in English, ...
Actually, here, that kind of paper is called - citylight paper :{)
So, please, HELP ...???

tdgraphics

I have checked the EuroMedia site and the profiles are very limited.

I have used a the "SPP-G Glossy Coating Paper" profile that comes with VersaWorks. Another alternative is the Hexis 270 profile. I found 3 but only 1 works for me. If you want to try it, PM me and I will email it to you.

Neil

Last edited:

messmedia

^^ I didn't try that TWF profile. Simply because paper I use is - paper, not film. Could it work? Also, I did try paper profile from VW, but not glossy, matt only (moonlight paper is not glossy)

Perhaps it is meant for full solvents only, that paper? I mean, dealer said it is ok for eco solvents, they print it with their Mutoh, only, they lower down color to 40%. Rolands do not have that option??

Also, generally, for back-lit stuff, it is custom to print 2 passes at least? - meaning, to print same thing twice, like two layers of color, so, back-lit outcome would be more real, and, 4exmpl, reds would be - reds, not pinkish??

airborneassault

another local company had the same problem you are having except they were using backlit film. They asked if it was something I could print and I ended up usign the TWF profile which worked wonderfully. If you used the "GPPM: Photo Matte Paper" then there's a good chance that the TWF profile could solve your problem. The GPPM provile has 32 total passes and a 250% ink limit wheras TWF has 18 total passes and a 200% ink limit. Another profile to try would be the MPP-SG: Photo Semi-Gloss Paper which has 16 total passes and a 200% ink limit. Try those and post the results.

As far as double printing...I've never had much luck with it but that's possibly because I don't do it enough. Have you tried lighting just the euromedia to see if your colors become washed out (like you described, reds being pinkish)? If not I'd try that first and see what your outcome is. My best luck as far as backlighting has always been to print your front piece, like the euromedia you have and then print another mirrored image on clear and install that to the inside of the backlit substrate. Does that make sense? If not I know there's a threat about it somewhere on here, i'll dig it up for ya.

-Nathan

messmedia

With great late from me, just to say thanx, and to update this:

No luck with either profile from VersaWorks. So I gave it up completely, and I try to exchange materials with my fullsolvent printing colleagues! (No luck there also! Maybe I'll just use it as a packing paper. Or make a notebook of it :{D)

As for this tip for stronger backlit colors - it does make sense, and it is a very good idea! Thanx for the tip.

And thanks for UR answers too ...

gvozden

Sorry 4 late response.I used that media year ago. On my sp 540 that paper start curling if you touch heater above 42-44c so we printed in some banner mode with some reduced ink consumption. I have somewhere profile 4 that paper, I could send you on DZ when I see you.