• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing problems with CJ-400 Need help!!

stuart.mann87

I purchsed a cj-400 and I've just recently converted it to solvent inks. Everything went together good and now I'm adjusting everything. I'm running test prints but they look either blochy or streaky I can't figure out what I need to do. I changed it from bi directional to uni directional and that seemed to help a bit but still I'm getting white streaks in my test prints. Is there anything I need to do? I can't figure out what to do and I'm wasting a lot of material please help.

Thanks
Stuart Mann

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 111
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20100930_211938.jpg
    IMG_20100930_211938.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20100930_211947.jpg
    IMG_20100930_211947.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 115

wolf

Hello Stuart how are you?

Before answering your question please read through the following and see if you followed the same steps.

1. Remove all water based ink cartridges.

2. First colour load an empty cartridge with hot water and from the damper suck hot water then leave it filled with hot water. repeat this for all colours.

3. Leave this over night then in the morning suck out the remaining water via a syringe via the damper from all ink lines.

4. Colour 1 load a cleaning solution cartridge from your supplier for your new solvent inks into the cartridge slot and suck out the solution using a syringe via the damper. Repeat this for all colours.

Now your ink lines are clean.

5. Add new dampers and change capping station, print heads and pump.

6. Very carefully without damaging the new dampers attach a syringe to the damper just by holding and suck out the ink until it fills the syringe a little . Repeat for all colours.

7. Now remove 1 hose that's coming from your pump that's connected to the capping station which should be under 1 of the heads and connect a small hose to it which is connected to a syringe. Make sure the syringe is closed so your able to draw out the syringe in the next step.

8. Make sure the heads are in there normal position and sitting over the capping station correctly. Now slowly draw out the syringe until ink starts to come out through the ink lines, via the damper through the print head. Do the step to the other heads. On my FJ50 I have 2 print heads that has 2 hoses.

Your system now has been washed with new ink running through it correctly.

You may experience fish eyes which are white dots due to contamination from 1 ink to the new one. Just print a couple of metres of media in full colour and it will clear itself out. If it remains in cyan just print half a metre of a cyan until it clears and so on.

If your converting a solvent printer for the first time you may not be aware but you will require at least 5 metres of vinyl to test with and at least 250-400ml of ink that will be wasted. Its part of the conversion. You have saved $$$$ and to save those $$$$ you need to waste $$.

Once you have finished reading this compare this info with how you did your conversion and see if any steps were missed or you took a short cut with how I explained this conversion.

I have a feeling that your issue may be solved in steps 7 & 8.
If you have followed all steps above and you still have this issue make sure there are inks in the ink lines and if they are not full then you have an air leak somewhere & it is possible your ink carts may be leaking. If they are leaking the stainless steel ink feeder (its where the ink cartridge connects to) may be pushed in hence you will need to remove the cover on top and remove the ink cart systems and fix and clean this out properly.

If everything is 100% to the above keep printing full colour at full width until the system settles itself out and it will because you may have contamination in some ink lines.

Also its an idea to print using a tiff file format between 150 to 300 DPI saved as RGB and for the profile I have used the Adobe RGB1998 using the bi directional setting, error diffusion and make sure pvc vinyl is chosen if your using vinyl.

Hope this info helps.

Joe

stuart.mann87

Here is what another test print looks like there are some lines missing?

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20101001_103323.jpg
    IMG_20101001_103323.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20101001_103353.jpg
    IMG_20101001_103353.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 109

stuart.mann87

What do I do for the first 3 steps? I've already replaced the pump heads and everything if I take the old heads off and put the old parts in wouldn't it dry the heads up?! But yes in my conversion kit they said to do a full clean with the water based cartages cleaning kit so I did that I did a total clean and after the printer finished that I used pure solvent and flushed the lines getting the remaining ink out. After I did that I started to replace parts and I replaced all the parts and when I hooked the new heads up I ran cleaning solvent through the heads that I bought to prime the heads. That's when I loaded the new solvent ink in and tried it and it's not printing correctly. So I ran all the adjustments it said to do and it's still not working. Was there something I did wrong? Should I load the solvent cleaning cartages and flush the lines with that using the printers cleaning setting?