• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing reds on HP FB500

LarryB

I have had my HP FB500 for a couple weeks now and love it. Only issue is trying to get a deep red using Onyx. I have printed out the color charts from Onyx with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

particleman

That machine stinks at getting a deep red on most of the print settings. Try the "saturation" mode and you should get a deep red although it will be slow

LarryB

That machine stinks at getting a deep red on most of the print settings. Try the "saturation" mode and you should get a deep red although it will be slow

I tried printing photo quality and the red still looks the same. Is that what you are talking about for saturation method?

cwb143

You won't get a rich red on that machine period. We use caldera rip and get the same dull red results. Our profiles are perfect and we get rich reds on other machines except that one. The problem is on the HP side somewhere.

SignTeam.us

When I print reds I found out I have the best reds with:
C: 0%
M: 100%
Y: 100%
B: 15%

And also in Onyx I bump the Magenta and Yellow to +10.

particleman

I tried printing photo quality and the red still looks the same. Is that what you are talking about for saturation method?

Been I while since I've used that machine, but I believe it is the highest (slowest) print quality. In onyx there was a checkbox to enable saturation, or it might have been on the job settings on the printer display before you release it to print.

LarryB

Been I while since I've used that machine, but I believe it is the highest (slowest) print quality. In onyx there was a checkbox to enable saturation, or it might have been on the job settings on the printer display before you release it to print.

I found the Max DPI Saturated setting. It is definitely the slowest print method but a much nicer red. Thank you!!

particleman

I found the Max DPI Saturated setting. It is definitely the slowest print method but a much nicer red. Thank you!!

Welcome, not very practical for large jobs, but if you have a picky customer it will definitely be much better looking.

Mspec

you will get punchier reds and blues running a CMYK profile vs a CMYKcm profile. Onyx default rendering intent is usually set to "perceptual" but for vector color work you will see brighter colors with a "saturation" setting. If your red is too orange, pull the yellow back 10 or 15%, and add a dash of cyan..

growler

Hp and their Reds! We had one of the first HP 5000 (water based machine) with UV inks..... we sent it back after months of trying to achieve warm/hot reds, it just couldn't do it with the ink sets!

Nameci

The printers per se doesn't have to do with how much you can get with colors. The printers are just jetting the inks. It all depends on the RIP settings and the ink set. No matter how good electronically and mechanically is the printer if the color gamut of the ink set is too small, then compounding it with a below par RIP and RIP setting, you can only achieve so much hit on the colors.