• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing several copies of the same image

grishkka

Hi,

I have long rectangular image, 10 inches wide and several feet long. I need to print it on 54 inch wide paper, and I would like to print 5 copies of this image one beside another. I use Onyx Thrive 11.1.2. Is there any way to load this single image into Onyx and somehow instruct it to print it the way I want? Obviously I can create one huge image 50 inches wide in Photoshop or similar, where I would manually join 5 copies of the image, but I would like to avoid this and use Onyx, if possible,

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Just tell your RIP you want 5 copies. This is basic basic printing....unless I am misunderstanding the question.

grishkka

Just tell your RIP you want 5 copies. This is basic basic printing....unless I am misunderstanding the question.
Then it will print several feet of 10-inch wide image, and then another several feet and so on, wasting 44 inches width of paper all along the way. I need copies one beside another rather than one after another.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I haven't used Onyx in a few years, hopefully an Onyx user will chime in for you. I just assume it will stack them accordingly to fit the media, with whatever gap between them that you specify. That's what Production Manager does. Maybe it has some "conserve media" setting or something? I can't remember the exact setup screen in Onyx. But I guarantee there's a super easy setting for it.

danno

If you group jobs together, then go to placement, you can adjust the settings there. I would give step by step, but am currently in an all day print job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You bring one image in. Set your orientation and how many you want. This is very basic. I see you have no experience, but whoever sold you your equipment, this is one of the first things you are shown regardless of manufacturer.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
In onyx on the right hand side there’s a drop down menu, can’t remember specifically but there should be 4 options, conserve media, group jobs together, fotoba marks etc.

you should choose group jobs together

Bly

Conserve media, enable rotation, set spacing between copies in the placement menu on the rhs of rip queue.

grishkka

If you group jobs together, then go to placement, you can adjust the settings there. I would give step by step, but am currently in an all day print job.
I somehow defined to print group the jobs instead of printing them individually. Then inside the job I asked to print 5 copies, and it worked! It printed one beside another with tiny gap between them. In the settings it was supposed to be 0.02 inches, but I think it is larger than that. But it does not matter, the important thing it printed them one near another. I am not even certain how I did it :)
If you could tell me exact steps I am supposed to take in order to achieve this functionality, I would greatly appreciate that. I am afraid I did it in a roundabout way.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I somehow defined to print group the jobs instead of printing them individually. Then inside the job I asked to print 5 copies, and it worked! It printed one beside another with tiny gap between them. In the settings it was supposed to be 0.02 inches, but I think it is larger than that. But it does not matter, the important thing it printed them one near another. I am not even certain how I did it :)
If you could tell me exact steps I am supposed to take in order to achieve this functionality, I would greatly appreciate that. I am afraid I did it in a roundabout way.
You just said how. In RIP Queue, Change your print type to "Group Jobs Together" or "Conserve Media" then in the individual job properties change the number of copies to 5 or whatever number you want.

Then if you want to modify the distance between copies in the group jobs together or conserve media settings you can set the horizontal and vertical distance to whatever number you would like.

grishkka

You bring one image in. Set your orientation and how many you want. This is very basic. I see you have no experience, but whoever sold you your equipment, this is one of the first things you are shown regardless of manufacturer.
I finally figured it out, I am just learning Onyx and printer. Unfortunately there is nobody to show things around, so have to learn it by myself.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Pretty sure onyx has tutorials for stuff like this but this is the most basic you can get! Lol

I’m still relatively new to onyx so I’m by no means an expert but I’ve found loads of helpful tools just rooting around the menus and playing about.

personal favourite is the grommets tool. No more dropping watermark grommet templates for me!

that and being able to create a cut file in onyx without needing any other software. Really idiot proofs it for everyone else when I’m not around

grishkka

Pretty sure onyx has tutorials for stuff like this but this is the most basic you can get! Lol

I’m still relatively new to onyx so I’m by no means an expert but I’ve found loads of helpful tools just rooting around the menus and playing about.

personal favourite is the grommets tool. No more dropping watermark grommet templates for me!

that and being able to create a cut file in onyx without needing any other software. Really idiot proofs it for everyone else when I’m not around
I am new not just to Onyx, but to printing business in general. I had to look up half of the words you mentioned, like grommet tool and cut file :)
And this is how I started printing stuff: by fooling around in menus and trying different things. Unfortunately it wastes ton of paper, and we have not even figured out yet where to buy wide paper, it appears it costs fortune or we are looking in wrong places :) That's OK, this would be our next step.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
There are a few members here that sell media that can help you but yes, large format = larger prices.

there are also a lot of helpful members that will do their best with any of your questions, but you do need to know what you’re talking about and at least know some jargon.. pictures help a lot too!

I’m just glad you went with latex so I don’t see you here in two weeks asking how to save your dead (and very expensive) print head that you can’t pay to fix lol

ikarasu

Welcome to canada where everything costs a fortune.

Allgraphicsupplies.com will be your cheapest bet. If you're looking for just paper, not vinyl... Then spicers.ca (Who just bought all graphic supplies) has a wider selection of papers/media, and specializes in paper products.charge a flat $8 delivery fee...so it's good if you dont order often.

AGS Sells their "Poster paper" for $100 a roll. It's not the best product, but without knowing what your using it for... it's hard to recommend a good paper. But... buy a cheap $100 roll and learn on it, no point in wasting the good stuff.

grishkka

Welcome to canada where everything costs a fortune.

Allgraphicsupplies.com will be your cheapest bet. If you're looking for just paper, not vinyl... Then spicers.ca (Who just bought all graphic supplies) has a wider selection of papers/media, and specializes in paper products.charge a flat $8 delivery fee...so it's good if you dont order often.

AGS Sells their "Poster paper" for $100 a roll. It's not the best product, but without knowing what your using it for... it's hard to recommend a good paper. But... buy a cheap $100 roll and learn on it, no point in wasting the good stuff.
Thank you very much for the info, we are planning to use self-adhesive vinyl paper for wallpaper-type applications. We would like to get 1-2 rolls to experiment on, so I found Clearance section on all graphics supplies, they have some vinyl paper there... If there are any other sources to get this type of paper from I would greatly appreciate the pointers.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I for one, don't like tying up my print tech with these matters. Use a vector program and set up your full page as needed. Step and repeat, copy paste, script or macros etc. You have much more control and can do it a lot faster. Maybe that's just me. I use macros to set up the quantity, registration marks, cut lines, layers, bleeds, spacing etc. Click, click, click export to pdf to the hot folder. All the print tech does is keep the printer rolling. He then throws that section of print back to me for plotting or if I'm busy he plots it himself.