• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing to HPL (high pressure laminate)

sballinger

Alright, so our shop purchased a FB700 and it's a great fit for us. Now the owner wants to see us print to HPL. If you don't know what that is, think formica counter top. The trade show company that we provide graphics for puts the laminate on panels for exhibits. They want custom colors without having to pay the high price/long lead time. I've tried different cleaners, adhesion promoters, roughing up the panel, nothing helps it adhere better. The ink is on there but the minute you router the edge of it...no good. I know this stuff has a special resin they put over the sandwich of materials and I'm wondering if that's what's keeping the ink from biting more. If anyone has experience with this, I'm all ears. I have a feeling it's a pipe dream!

sballinger

It's like your reading my mind! That was my second idea the minute this whole printing laminate idea came around. We are trying printing to 1mm Sintra today and using that. I have a feeling it will hold up better but you won't be able to get the wilsonart adhesive off the panel without taking the ink off.

rfulford

How long are you waiting after print to route? I tried this once with Formica and thought it was a failure for the same reason. The ink peeled on the edges when routing. However, I went back to a waste piece 3 days later and the cure was fantastic and it routed well. According to our ink manufacturer, a full cure takes 24 hours. It has never affected us until this scenario but the wait made a huge difference.

sballinger

I let a piece sit for about 3 days last week and still the same problem. I even took some masking tape to the edge and it pulled the ink right off. I've switched up the lamps to medium and high, no improvement. Maybe it's matters on which HPL it is. We are using a Designer White from Wilsonart.