• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing to Magnetic Sheeting

timkaz227

Is anyone printing directly to Magnetic Sheeting w/ any success? I'm using a Versacamm 540. Thought I would check w/ you all before purchasing the material. I've heard the quality isn't as good as to vinyl. Thanks for the help.

DRamm76

I've always recommended printing on vinyl and then mounting it to a magnetic. Magnetic material doesnt always get the kind of pop you're looking for.

royster13

I was in a supplier's factory where they print magnet material on a flat bed printer, cut it to size and corner round.....Then they magnetize the material......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can do it, but it's not recommended.

We usually went the print on vinyl to magnetic route. Now with our flatbed, we go direct.... and it's really nice.

You can do it, but it's not recommended.

We usually went the print on vinyl to magnetic route. Now with our flatbed, we go direct.... and it's really nice.

Same here. I would not risk a head strike with a roll-to-roll machine, but on the flatbed..... yup

timkaz227

Thanks for the info. FYI I did search but didn't find anything helpful. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough.

as crazy as it may sound you can put application/transfer tape over the front and rear of the printer to reduce the magnetic field. the problem is the feed and take up roller not having the power to move the media.

Don't risk your machine, if you need them direct printed there are enough merchant members with flatbeds on here that I'm sure you could have them done locally as to not wait for shipping.

Sticky Signs

I've got a roll of magnetic that actually prints nicely on my xc540. The big problem is tracking - especially if you try print cut. I stick to the vinyl on mag.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Print on vinyl and apply. It doesn't make any sense to beat up a $20,000 printer/cuter with thick heavy magnetic material.