Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing to Metallic 3M™ Series 50 Scotchcal?

Discussion in 'Labels and Decals' started by Andy D, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Hey all,
    I'm looking to produce short term labels, but they need to be eco solvent printed on something shiny,
    Metallic, chrome, etc.

I used to print to 3M Series 50 white all the time without problem, but I'm not sure how the metallic silver 58 series 50 would work.
    Has anyone printed to that, or have a better option?

Tags:
  2. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    never hurts to try.... if you have a sample of the material, you could always laminate a swatch onto some junk roll and print onto it to see the results without having to load a roll or waste a large chunk of exotic vinyl just to test.

some materials just don't want to accept certain inks, or can't handle certain printing conditions like latex heat, BUT in a pinch I have always been able to print onto clear and laminate that onto my intended base vinyl. The clearer the better, like luster/gloss, as matte tends to diffuse/cloud the effects of the base vinyl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Antnee

Antnee Member

Apr 6, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I’m printing on RTape Vinyl EFX chrome, gold, and brushed metal vinyls with no problems on a Mutoh.

4. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    It works fine for us. We have had a couple of clients in the past that wanted silver backgrounds and black text.
    Colour management will be a bit off as it's not white, but if you're just doing labels with vector artwork you should be fine.