• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing translucent graphics - will this concept work?

Doyle

I am working on an estimate for a customer that needs the faces replaced in his sign (flat not pan). The existing faces are 20+ years old and have held up very well. The existing graphics are painted on the back side of clear faces. The new sign face graphics will require digital printing as there will be areas of full color graphics required. I want to offer my customer the longest-lasting graphics possible. We typically would print on white translucent with an overprint, but this does not offer optimal color lightness when the sign is not illuminated (day time). I am aware of the process of printing on white trans (first surface) and applying an additional print on clear vinyl (reversed) on the inside of the face to eliminate this problem, but here is another idea I am curios about:

Can I print on clear media (in reverse) and laminate with a second print on white translucent, and mount these two pieces to the INSIDE of a clear face? The end result would be the clear face with clear print on the inside, backed by the white translucent with the same print on the other side of this. So when the cabinet is not illuminated, you will only see the first layer of clear and the back (adhesive) side of the white translucent. I am hoping that the print will get a longer life by being mounted to the inside of the face, with no graphics on the outside of the face at all. One side of the sign faces South, which gets the brunt of the sun exposure here and typically fades much faster than the opposite side. Would this method yield a longer lasting print than mounting one of the prints to the outside of the face?

dlndesign

Not a bad idea, I haven't done that before, but I can't see of a reason why it wouldn't work. Would the acrylic optically clear? The only thing I can think of is possibly glare from the acrylic. I'd like to see what others think of this as well.

MikePro

it will work.
BUT
Longevity will depend on whether the existing plastic has UV inhibitive properties, as your clear print will be exposed to sunlight without the laminate that would usually have this.

I'd like to think your graphic would last just as long, if not longer, if your laminated white trans. layer was simply applied to the face of the plastic. ....and look much brighter-white than the alternative that could also potentially reveal silvering in the adhesive.
plus, if your existing graphics were PAINTED-ON, I'd imagine you're going to do a bit of damage to the clear-finish of the plastic upon scraping/cleaning. Less potential for disaster to just plan on hiding this beneath a clean-layer of white trans. print.

Doyle

it will work.
BUT
Longevity will depend on whether the existing plastic has UV inhibitive properties, as your clear print will be exposed to sunlight without the laminate that would usually have this.

I'd like to think your graphic would last just as long, if not longer, if your laminated white trans. layer was simply applied to the face of the plastic. ....and look much brighter-white than the alternative that could also potentially reveal silvering in the adhesive.
plus, if your existing graphics were PAINTED-ON, I'd imagine you're going to do a bit of damage to the clear-finish of the plastic upon scraping/cleaning. Less potential for disaster to just plan on hiding this beneath a clean-layer of white trans. print.

Not planning to re-use the existing faces, we will be replacing them with clear UV-resistant polycarbonate sheets.

MikePro

Not planning to re-use the existing faces, we will be replacing them with clear UV-resistant polycarbonate sheets.

booyah, by all means then. should work perfectly.
you can most likely get-away without using laminate, if u like.

Doyle

Thanks for the reply. I think we will give it a go. I'm slightly concerned over the silvering effect that we are likely to encounter by mounting the white translucent film on the inside. We will DEFINITELY let the sheets outgas for a couple of days after removing the protective covering on the polycarbonate sheets, as this would surely compound the issue. We have made the mistake of applying graphics to this material immediately after removing the film, and bubbles start popping up after about 30 minutes.

Maybe thinking we should wet apply these graphics, registration will probably be a pain. Sizes we are working with is 43" x 93" and 43" x 69".

airborneassault

I may have mis-read your first post but could you "laminate" you're clear layer onto the translucent white layer (both printed in reverse) and install in one fell swoop onto the polycarb so you would only have to worry about alignment when laminating and not when installing?

Doyle

I may have mis-read your first post but could you "laminate" you're clear layer onto the translucent white layer (both printed in reverse) and install in one fell swoop onto the polycarb so you would only have to worry about alignment when laminating and not when installing?

I'm sure this could work, and is probably the way I will do it. I am not sure about the graphic registering properly this way, it will probably be a paint the the @$$ no matter how we do it.