• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing way too dark

ExtremeGFX

Thanks to everyone on this site and all of the information that is on here i got my mutoh falcon up and running. Nozzle check looks pretty good only a few missing and seems to be getting better the more i use the printer.

Im using flexi 8.1 for the rip I don't have the right vinyl in yet so i threw a peice of avery a9 i had laying around. Everything that gets ripped from flexi puts down way too much ink. I am using the oracle 3651 profile as that is the vinyl that i will be using as soon as it arrives. I turned the output down to 50% and it looks better but the yellow shows up green. black looks good like that though. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Is it even possible to print on a9 vinyl correctly?

JBarraxSW

Hi ExtremeGFX.
Printing on A9 is not a good idea. You've already touched on the reason. The RIP software you're using depends on ICC profiles that take into account the characteristics of the print media including white point and dot gain. Since A9 is designed for plotting, not printing, there are no profiles for it. Your printer is particularly dependent on good profiles to achieve good output, so that vinyl is going to be a wildcard. If you need a sample of some ORAJET 3551RA or 3951, PM me and I'll send you some to work with. You'll get much better results.
BTW, you can read more about profiling on my recent blog post.

ExtremeGFX

Thank you for the quick response Jerry. I actually have an order from you in the mail, I just wanted to experiment in the meantime. I have read on here about people using non digital media but wasn't sure how it would work. I'll have to wait until tomorrow i guess.

ExtremeGFX

I just got some 3640 because of the low cost i figured it would be good to use while im learning. That material should work right? Of course i just noticed it says 50" roll not 48" dont think its going to fit into a 48" machine oops

thmooch

I would suggest getting some decent Calendar Solvent Printable vinyl along with some 13oz Banner material. Then go out and sell some Signs. Really, for the time spent experimenting on materials you have on hand you could sell one banner and pay for some good quality materials that you are comfortable offering to your customers.

JBarraxSW

Thank you for the quick response Jerry. I actually have an order from you in the mail, I just wanted to experiment in the meantime. I have read on here about people using non digital media but wasn't sure how it would work. I'll have to wait until tomorrow i guess.
THANKS for the order. Let me know if you have any more questions about your printer or media needs. :)

JBarraxSW

I just got some 3640 because of the low cost i figured it would be good to use while im learning. That material should work right? Of course i just noticed it says 50" roll not 48" don't think its going to fit into a 48" machine oops
Yes, if you have the Mutoh Falcon Outdoor, it was originally a 46" printer that was stretched to 48" to accommodate sign industry vinyl widths. However, ORACAL's 48" vinyl is converted from metric rolls made in Europe so it's actually 49 7/8" wide; too big for your machine.
We can slit it for you, or you can use actual 48" wide PrismJET 201 or 203.

soypaul

In advanced, if i remember correctly, you can change colorimetry from saturation, rlative absolute, and else. Try to use sayuration for 720 and relative for 1440. Or just play with it

4R Graphics

This is a common Flexi problem it always prints to dark (puts down to much ink) with its canned profiles.

You need to either get custom profiles or do a little tweaking in the linearization settings.

Messing with the linearization will stop the to much ink problem however it will cause a color shift problem (maybe hard to see but it will be there)

Only way to get good ink level and perfect matching colors(perfect well as good as you can get with the printer in question) is to build custom profiles this can be time consuming DIY or costly- Hire someone.

Good luck