• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing White in a color logo on a dark shirt??

MarkH42

We don't do any textile printing, but I have a customer who does t-shirts on a small scale using cut vinyl for one color jobs and sublimation for multi-color jobs, but she can only print on light shirts, and can't print white as part of a multi-color logo on a darker shirt.

We have a Gerber Edge 2 thermal transfer printer and that machine prints white. My question is, does someone make a heat transfer product that will work with the Edge, so I can print the logos and give them to my customer to be heat-pressed on the shirts? We also have a Mimaki solvent printer, but I don't see that as a solution since it doesn't print white, but I thought I would mention it in case I'm missing something. Any ideas?

HaroldDesign

Why doesn't the person doing shirts just use 3G opaque? If she can print for light colored shirts & cut vinyl, she can do dark shirts, also.

Mike_Koval

You can use either of your printers to produce full color transfers for darks. With the Edge, the Color Print will work, but unfortunately we do't have the ability to punch.

For your Mimaki, we supply a number of different media for this application. You don't need white because the material you print is white. The process is the same a printing a decal, with the exception of the material being a heat activated adhesive rather than pressure sensitive.

Let me know if you would like some samples and i'll send some along. For the punched material, check some local dealers because im pretty sure the Siser Color Print products are available punched.

MarkH42

I think it has something to do with a regular printer not printing white ink. I'm new to this and have no idea what 3G opaque is, but I'll research it. With us having a machine that will print white, maybe we can print it.....not sure if they have a 3G opaque that works with an Edge, but I'll investigate. Thanks for the reply.

acothran

Siser ColorPrint II. From other apparel forums, I've heard many people use this successfully with a Gerber Edge. I've used it with a GS6000 and it works. Best I recall, the Siser material is white so you shouldn't need white ink (sorry, it's been a while since I've used it). Unless your customer has a heat press, you may want to watch how you warranty customer-applied logos. You really want the pressure and even heat of a heat press. You can probably apply it with an iron, but I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to peal. Good luck.

Allen

ucmj22

we use rolands eco solv printable heat transfer media. its just like printing on white vinyl, no white ink needed. granted its durability is only about 20 washes, but for gimmiky items like bachelorette parties and such, it does the trick. maybe there is a similar product that has better durability, but I think it has more to do with the eco sol ink than the media.

HaroldDesign

Sounds like she is not aware that she has the capabilities to do dark shirts if she is able print for light ones and can cut vinyl. No need to print white, but should use pigmented inks.

I think it has something to do with a regular printer not printing white ink. I'm new to this and have no idea what 3G opaque is, but I'll research it. With us having a machine that will print white, maybe we can print it.....not sure if they have a 3G opaque that works with an Edge, but I'll investigate. Thanks for the reply.

WildWestDesigns

Sounds like she is not aware that she has the capabilities to do dark shirts if she is able print for light ones and can cut vinyl. No need to print white, but should use pigmented inks.

Dye sub, you can't print on darks. Not in the same way that it works for lights. Now what I have done in the past, is embroider with white poly thread (usually something with a gloss to it) and sublimate the white thread and that works well for darks and it gives it a nice embroidered look to it.

Other then that, there is either screen print or DTG (even though it has it's own issues). I've never been a fan of the transfers for darks using the other methods. Just never have been.