• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing White s80600

Signed Out

Looking for best method to printing a flood coat of white on clear vinyl for reverse stick decals. I know it's never going to be 100% opaque, but I'm hopping for better results then we are currently achieving. We have tried some different profiles (canned) and different pass counts, all the way up to 48 pass. Also we have changed the white ink to limit to 400%, not sure this is helping?

Really printing white is new to us so we are kinda just throwing darts. Anybody care to share what works best for them?

unclebun

The white ink isn't really opaque enough to do a good flood coat like that. It's meant to be used as an underlayer, and it works OK for that. We have had success with doing an underlayer and then printing white a second time on top of that along with the colors, but these were first surface decals. I suppose you could do a second flood coat.

Signed Out

In my first post I referenced changing the white ink limit to 400%. That was wrong it is the white ink density. Different profiles have this number set differently. If you increase the number of passes the ink density number decrease. Can somebody explain the relationship here? Seems to make sense that if you are doing more passes, then less density per pass, but I'm just guessing here.

5stargraphics

We've printed white for this type of application on our s80600 but found a much better result when just printing reverse on clear, then putting the print through the laminator but applying a white vinyl with white adhesive instead of a clear laminate.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We've printed white for this type of application on our s80600 but found a much better result when just printing reverse on clear, then putting the print through the laminator but applying a white vinyl with white adhesive instead of a clear laminate.

This is exactly how we do it, then we draw over the register marks for the mimaki. Works well. Now just to find a way to achieve this on the summa using the barcode.. not keen on drawing that one lol

jfiscus

Rap Master
Print in reverse on clear vinyl, apply tape over cut marks, laminate the print with white vinyl, remove tape, cut print.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Print in reverse on clear vinyl, apply tape over cut marks, laminate the print with white vinyl, remove tape, cut print.

For the barcode? You’d have to tape around the whole thing. Probably easier for me to just draw two lines in each corner on the mimaki.

Signed Out

Yes we always did these in the past backing with white clear adhesive vinyl. Wasn't too bad on the roland but does add a ton of time and hard to utilize a take up reel or automated cutting. We are using summa barcode now and the added time to cut those marks out is too much.

We got it to print acceptable white flood for reverse stick decals, just want to get it as good as the epson can possibly do it.

The amount of time we are saving by printing the white and using the summa barcode, flex cut, and take up reel is huge.

Back on topic:

Any tips tricks to better whites?