• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing white under color is muting the color? S80600

mim

0_o
So in the picture I was trying to do a "triple layer print" with a solid block of green, then I printed the same color green on top with a white under layer. You can see that the colors are very different in luminosity. I have done this method plenty of times but it seems to work only with reds and yellows, blues and greens turn out like this. It seems like the obvious answer is that the white is not drying fast enough for the top layer of ink. However, if I boost the heat setting the media warps and I get head strikes. Maybe I need to slow down the time between passes? Lessen the output of white?

Also, I'm so curious to know what the ink/pigments are made of. If anybody has a detailed explanation of that I'd be so happy to read up on it!

I'm still so bad with this printing white thing o_O

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image_67169025.JPG
    image_67169025.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 429

greysquirrel

White is meant for under flood, over flood and spot. It was not meant for color white color on the s80. I know it was selectable on the s80 but I believe Epson removed from s80
The white ink is not opaque enough to cover

taggianto

The S80600 has two options when it comes to white/metallic silver - the ‘traditional’ method of white as a spot layer that can either be on top of or below the color, and a different method where the white is basically ‘mixed in’ with the color. What rip software are you using? There should be a setting to change it.

mim

0_o
White is meant for under flood, over flood and spot. It was not meant for color white color on the s80. I know it was selectable on the s80 but I believe Epson removed from s80
The white ink is not opaque enough to cover

It works fine for what I'm doing except that it's blending the top color in with the white. I don't want it to be totally opaque, I'm aiming for a translucent that is not washed out when illuminated

The S80600 has two options when it comes to white/metallic silver - the ‘traditional’ method of white as a spot layer that can either be on top of or below the color, and a different method where the white is basically ‘mixed in’ with the color. What rip software are you using? There should be a setting to change it.

Oh I wonder if I have it set that way. I'm using Onyx Postershop. I print on the "Clear with White" setting with the default 18 pass.

taggianto

I use Onyx Thrive, which I'm guessing is pretty similar. When I go into the print options from my quick sets, I have the option to choose the print order - "Color and Spot" is the one that 'blends' the white with the ink, the other two turn the white into a spot color under or over print. Maybe see if you can change that?

1670877595849.png

Scotchbrite

No comment
For what it worth, we just got a UCJV300 and I noticed in the transparent profiles I downloaded there is a profile option for printing on white. Maybe such a profile could help you out even though it's a different machine.

Manning

Premium Subscriber
I use Onyx Thrive, which I'm guessing is pretty similar. When I go into the print options from my quick sets, I have the option to choose the print order - "Color and Spot" is the one that 'blends' the white with the ink, the other two turn the white into a spot color under or over print. Maybe see if you can change that?

View attachment 162981
Thanks for sharing this pic... it helped to end my several hour hair pulling search for info to print on clear. It took a minute to find it in my version of Onyx Thrive (right click on imported job, select Printer Settings and there it was). Thanks!

taggianto

Thanks for sharing this pic... it helped to end my several hour hair pulling search for info to print on clear. It took a minute to find it in my version of Onyx Thrive (right click on imported job, select Printer Settings and there it was). Thanks!
Glad it helped!