• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing with Converted eco-solvent printer - no heaters

PURVEYOR

Question.... has anyone had any luck converting a pigment or AQ printer to eco-solvent and had success printing on uncoated media (vinyl and banner material)?

I have a Mutoh RJ6000 that was converted to eco-solvent. But there are no heaters.

The printer is operating very well with the eco ink in it. Test prints on regular paper are fine. nozzle check is decent.

My problem is that as soon as I put a roll of vinyl in and try printing the ink bleeds horribly. It's all over the place.

I've attached a photo to illustrate.

now please note that I did manually heat up the vinyl with a hair dryer before I printed this.... I understand that's not in any way a solution or recommended way to heat up vinyl, but I just wanted to see if it was strictly a heat issue. It seems even if the vinyl is warm, it still bleeds horribly. the example photo is consistent with a print that I did without heating the vinyl.

I'm not sure the brand of vinyl, I've tried printing on three different materials... same result across the board.

Am I SOL? is it simply not possible to print eco solvent without heaters?

I could have sworn people here have said they have done it successfully, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

ANy input or suggestions would be appreciated.

disclaimer: yes i know the solution would be to buy a new eco-solvent printer haha this is more of a challenge to me now... I want to make this printer run!

Attachments

• RJ6000onvinyl.jpg
    RJ6000onvinyl.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 581

Vinylman

"
Am I SOL? is it simply not possible to print eco solvent without heaters?"

The simplest answer is YES!

tiredcreations

you can do it. you need the right profile and using a matte vinyl would help. I know nothing about your printer but I've done it on mine with the heaters off. Obviously not the right way to go about it but give it a shot.

artbot

...for my work, i never ever use the heaters. wish i knew that ahead of time. i would have put eco-solvent in my fj50 way back when.

decibeldesign

No Heaters ...

So, one says you can't and two say they do it? I'm not sure who to believe. I'm looking for a way into printing outdoor signage .. I have an RJ6000 as well. It says it can accept eco-sol inks. Do I bother? I have an external heater that I thought would just help cure it, can I put it on the pre print side?

FrankW

It will not work with uncoated vinyl. It could be that you will be successful with very low ink limits on a few medias, but with poor gamut. The first Rockhopper I, which was an EcoSolvent-Printer based on the RJ-6000, was unable to print acceptable quality on vinyl too even the printer was equipped with heaters because of there was no heater directly below the platen, just a preheater and a dryer. Later Mutoh have offered a direct heater upgrade kit because they need to.

Perhaps you can find some coated Vinyl to print on?

sfr table hockey

It may depend on your printer.

I have CJ500 converted waterbased to solvent Roland printer and some media you can print on with good results.

A lot depends on the media and even more on the profile. Some there is no way you can print on and others like matte finished media, banner material, you can get away with it.

One thing that the heat does is let the inks soak in a bit better so without heat you may find that the print scratches off easier thus your durability is much less unless you laminate. Some good cast media you can print without heat and get resonable results. Cheap calendared you may get major grain and flooded prints.

Look into making some heat strips to add to the printer if you can and have the best of both.

I have done it. Do I do it for most things, no I tend to always use heat.