• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing with Florescent inks?

threeputt

I'm being told that there are Florescent inks available that will print on the Roland? Have a fairly large job if we can do so. Large panels, black over Florescent.

Anyone have experience in this area?

gnemmas

Have you tried this alternative, print black on florescent vinyl?

We print black, red & reflex blue on yellow vinyl or yellow banners, inkjet printer can not get this vibrant yellow no mater how hard we tried.

threeputt

Didn't know that florescent colored vinyl was available. These will be panels that are 3'x5' or so. We'll then laminate and apply to some simple, lightweight material like 3mm PVC.

They have to show up under black light for a bowling alley promotion of some kind.

Does that sound possible?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Make sure your customer knows that flourescent vinyls have a short lifespan outdoors (2 max most 6 months). Laminate will help some.

gnemmas

Up to 24" rolls are available (Fellers carry Oracal & Avery brand). You can panel it to form 3'x5', It will work.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fluorescent foils are available for Gerber Edge. I don't stock them due to shelf life issues. But that would allow for Edge printing and cutting.

Probably the easiest way to get what you want is with Day Glo paints using a paint mask or with a black on clear printed overlay on Day Glo spray painted boards. You may also be able to get pre-printed cardboard in various fluorescent colors since your job is evidently for indoor use.

Some of the fluorescent vinyls are truly fluorescent and some are just very bright color imitations, so if they need to glow in black light, take care. True fluorescent colors consume their fluorescence as they react to UV and have a very short life.

TresL

The Avery FLO prints fine.
Oracal has a gloss that doesn't print to well with my Roland.

I printed colors charts on all the FLO vinyl we have as well.

threeputt

Well if I understand this particular job right, they'll need about 100 signs, but they're like 4'x4', so I'd prefer to run large sheets on the Roland.

I'll know more about the particulars of the job on Monday. Right now I think the client is fishing for some answers to see if it's possible.

Merry Christmas to all.

Mosh

We have printed on the oracal flor film without any problems. We did let it sit overnight before laminating, the ink was tacky to the touch. Be sure they know flor films are short term outdoor.

threeputt

Turns out the client has decided to move in a different direction now. We're still in the hunt to "wrap" all of the exterior windows with bowling motifs. Window perf, of course.

JETBEST USA

Hey There threeput,
I have actually heard about Florescent Inks and did found a company online once. I will try to find that information and post it here for you.
However, if you are interested here at JETBEST we offer Eco Solvent Inks which is an excellent product at an affordable price.
We would be glad to assist you with any information on our product. Feel free to contact:
Angel Ochoa,
818-287-5899,
angel@jetbestusa.com