• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing with HP Latex 560

hermias10

Hi,

Working with someone who had success printing on non digital white reflective and also 3M 8508 gloss laminate for second surface prints using a Roland VP-540 running generic profiles. They most recently purchased an HP 560 and are experiencing problems trying to replicate what they did with their Roland printer. Printing on non digital white reflective was simple with their Roland, but with their HP 560 they're getting headstrikes. They also used 3M 8508 gloss laminate in which they'd digitally print on for second surface prints and can not do the same with their HP 560. The laminate just curls up when trying to print on it.

Hope what I've described makes sense. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

dale911

President
I definitely wouldn't print on the overlaminate for second surface when you can just as well use something like orafol 3651 clear which is designed for this purpose and is less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ikarasu

Which reflective?

I've printed on 3M 3290, and on 8518 with my Latex 110. The 8518 I used the downloaded profile for IJ8150. For 3290, I used IJ680 profile. They both looked ok, though I think creating their own media would have worked better.

If it's curling up, the temp might be set too high. As for the head strikes on reflective... That might also be too high. I did find with 3290, since it's not a printable media I did have to advance it out quite a bit. For stuff like 180 I can have maybe an inch past the printing mark and it'll print.. for 3290 I had to advance it until it was at least in the heater platen, otherwise it would strike a bit.

Asuma01

For second surface clear we use Arlon DPF 4500G with good results on our latex printer. Regarding the reflective, we use 3M IJ5100-10 with no issues.

AKwrapguy

I rocking an HP570 and for clear we use 3m 3650-114. It works great every time. As far as reflective I run 3290, IJ680 through my machine no problems at all. The only reflective that I have to be careful with is Diamond Grade and High Prismatic, only because it's so stiff I'll use the edge guards and use a piece of banner as a header to get some tension on it. I did have issues with the new 7930 reflective but this was more of a heat issue so I increased the number of passes up to like 20 and decreased my heat, again I had to use edge guard and a banner leader for tension.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Also may need to increase the platen vacuum, since it's a thicker material and tends to hold it's curl more, you need to ensure that stuff goes through flat.

CaliforniaVibe

Production and Digital Print Operator
I'm trying to print right now on some diamond grade reflective with a HP360, I've already dropped the temp -30° F and increased the vacuum from 40 to 70 still getting head strikes. I fear if I drop the heat any more the ink won't dry. It usually won't dry under 190° F when the profile is set to 120% saturation. If I go lower on the sat it's hard to keep the red color where I need it.

bannertime

Do like AK said and use some cheap banner material as a "header" to feed down to the take up reel. It's pretty easy with SAV rolls. We put the roll onto the table, slice about an inch off the back and place the header material onto the exposed adhesive. Roll it all the way, load into the machine, run the process, and web onto the take up reel.

CaliforniaVibe

Do like AK said and use some cheap banner material as a "header" to feed down to the take up reel. It's pretty easy with SAV rolls. We put the roll onto the table, slice about an inch off the back and place the header material onto the exposed adhesive. Roll it all the way, load into the machine, run the process, and web onto the take up reel.

So I attached some scrim vinyl as a header and the tension is great but the inside still warps inside the heating platen...which in turn creates bowing on the side closest to the printheads. I now have the temperature at 180°F and going to drop another 15° lower, and maybe create some sort of extension for side clip.

CaliforniaVibe

Welp. Make shift clips worked great, but the material is too strong on keeping its form once the banner header passed so the face of the print is hitting the upper heating platen before it dries. I'm just going to print on some clear vinyl and apply it to the reflective, already destroyed way too much material.