• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing with the gerber edge help

Hello to every one at signs 101. i have just purchased a gerber edge2 with envision 375. after messing around for a week with cables i now have the two machines working with flexi sign 8. i unders stand a few basic things about screen printing. Or i think i do :thumb:. So i'm hoping you guys and girls
can help me with a few basics. so i thought i'd jump out of the pan and into the fire. i have converted a image in flexi. it will be my first test
it will be a pannel decal
EDGE TEST 2.jpg

i thought it may be printed in the following way

EDGE TEST 1.jpg

i need to understand how to create primer layers and allow the layers behind to overlap the one in front so it dose not leave a tiny boarder around each colour. i think the terms Overprint !

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I use Omega for my layouts so this may or may not work for Flexi. The difference being that Omega has a clear fill in its spot or process foil settings. The way I would set it up would be the

4th layer solid white over the whole area, not knocked out as you have it.

3rd layer - convert the internal shapes to blue and compound with the outer shapes allowing the white to show through the holes. Set the blue to overprint.

2nd layer apply color change and compounding as with the 3rd layer for the white and apply clear fill for the clear spaces which will also knock out the white. Set the layer to overprint.

1st layer, simply set to overprint.

There is no need in this job for chokes and spreads or trapping. Neither is there any need for primers - the base layer of white does all the priming you need.

thanks. i will try and have a go . i also have omega 2.02
i could try and start using it but im new to flexi too. wish both programs were as easy to use as signlab.

Lindsay

thanks. i will try and have a go . i also have omega 2.02
i could try and start using it but im new to flexi too. wish both programs were as easy to use as signlab.

Unrelated but could you tell me what connection are you using between the Edge 2 and the computer. I'm using Flexi 8.1 in XP connected with a parallel to USB cable. At times I get an error on the edge that stops the print starting or stops part the way through the print.

I've tried connecting directly to the computers parallel port without success.
When I connect the edge 2 to the port the computer running X Pro wants to install the printer in device manager. (shows as unknown device) Also in device manager it tries to install under disc drives something called IMG VPO.
Doesn't want to talk to the computer at all doing that.

Wondering if these issues are related to Flexi. Same issues when previously running Flexi 7.6.

Any feedback you could give would be appreciated.

beckys

if your learning both Flemi & Omega, I would go with Omega-it was designed for Gerbers equipment.
Is there any reason why your printing on clear, and not just white??
then you would only use 2 foils, the grey could be a black w/halftone. (hence the grey)

hi
i too am running flexi 8 on a XP via a usb converter.
i just plug it in it then pop up a box i select edge 2
then asks for drivers. i don't have any so just click finish.

in flex i open the printer property and changed the usb number i.e.
I have several devices 001 - 009 my edge 2 worked on 008
but after printing a few items would not work. but it did work on usb 001 !
and work's fine
hope this helps
j

I'm trying to avoid omega because flexi may well deliver what i want. i also use flexi to print direct to the versacamm. i will only use the edge 2 for the small lables as the roland
dose most of my other jobs with good results. but if flexi dose not deliver with the
edge 2
i'll have no choice but to learn how to use omega.

I am right in thinking the the gerber can on create colours using the process method
using the method shown

http://www.run2.net/junk/DSCF6437.JPG

need to create a colour using 100% yellow and 62% cyan but the cyan creates that dot printing or dithering. i know it's a dumb question but just want to check before i buy a spot colour

J Hill Designs

yeah if you are using a tint of any color, it will come out dotty - another method would be to find a duotone (full fill of two colors) that make the color you are going for...

Lindsay

hi
i too am running flexi 8 on a XP via a usb converter.
i just plug it in it then pop up a box i select edge 2
then asks for drivers. i don't have any so just click finish.

in flex i open the printer property and changed the usb number i.e.
I have several devices 001 - 009 my edge 2 worked on 008
but after printing a few items would not work. but it did work on usb 001 !
and work's fine
hope this helps
j

Thanks for that feedback. That's the only way I can get the edge 2 to print by using the usb to parallel converter. Wondering though if anyone has one working via the computer's parallel port using flexi as shown in the edge 2 user manual. Maybe that only works if using the Omega software as I can't get it to work at all connecting that way.

signage

For an Edge 2 to work on a parallel port that port must be ECP! You can verify the port in Device Manager or the BIOS!

This is the case if you are running Signlab, Omega or any other RIP software, it is required by the device (Egde 2) for communication!

Lindsay

For an Edge 2 to work on a parallel port that port must be ECP! You can verify the port in Device Manager or the BIOS!

This is the case if you are running Signlab, Omega or any other RIP software, it is required by the device (Egde 2) for communication!

Yes it is ECP so it's a mystery.

As said above. When I connect the edge 2 to the port the computer running X Pro wants to install the printer in device manager. (shows as unknown device) Also in device manager it tries to install under disc drives something called IMG VPO.

Tel

I use flexi on other machines but would not consider it for the edge. As our edge came with omega I use it and apart from the language barrier I have no problem with it and I am not exactly a computer wizzkid teenager I am 60 in february, although my wife says I'm 59 going on 12.
By language barrier you need to understand I am welsh and live in Nothern Ireland and Omega is obviously written in the american language, George Bernard Shaw once said "England and America are two countries separated by a common language"
Regards
Tel