• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Printing with VS-640 thru illustrator

antant77

Hi, ok so I've been using a BN20 and I sometimes use illustrator to print directly to the printer.. I go to file, print, print preferences and the dialog box that opens allows me to fully control my bn20 without needing versaworks...

i also have a versacamm vs640... when I take the same steps in illustrator to print on the 640 the print preferences dialog box is non existent for the 640, I know I can "print" to versaworks from illustrator but I'm trying to understand why I can't print directly from illustrator to the 640 like I can with my bn20 without using versaworks...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I think this might help you out. It goes through setting up the printer driver in windows. I have never seen a Roland setup to print directly from illustrator. The PDF link above shows how to setup the driver in windows and it links the driver to Versaworks so that it looks like you are printing to a normal windows driver but it actually uses Versaworks to print still. I assume that is how the BN-20 is setup as well.

antant77

Thanks for quick response VanderJ!

I do have all that setup like in that link you gave me... Im just trying to figure out why I cant print directly from illustrator to the printer 640 like I can with my bn20.. I can completely print from illustrator to my bn20 thru the bn20 printer preferences dialog box without using versaworks... I know I can "print" from illustrator to versaworks but im trying to understand why I cant print from illustrator to the printer by file, print, print preferences.. Im attaching pics of how my printers are labled, my bn20 printer preferences dialog box, and my 640 printer preferences dialog box.. You can see in the bn20 print preferences dialog box I have full control over the printer thru that dialog box...

Im not sure but Im feeling like I need the Roland VS-640 stand alone driver without the VW (versaworks) extension.. My bn20 doesnt have the versaworks extension on it and in the pic you can see it just says Roland BN-20...

File Nov 04, 5 35 48 PM.jpg File Nov 04, 5 36 05 PM.jpg File Nov 04, 5 36 20 PM.jpg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ah. I am willing to bet that the BN-20 only works that way because it is considered an entry level printer and they made a driver specifically for it. The VS series is a professional model so they assume you need the RIP. I'm not 100% on that. Just a hunch.

antant77

Yea that makes sense honestly... wondering if the bn20 being plugged into the computer with a USB has anything to do with it? Because the 640 is plugged into computer using Ethernet cord