• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Wraps: Saturation

When I'm printing vehicle wraps, should I be upping the saturation of the print? And if so, will this make it discolor less when stretched? How do I boost saturation in a print?

I am using a Latex 365 with Onyx as my RIP and Illustrator as my design tool. Thanks for any feedback!

papabud

Lone Wolf
i dont think it will help much. the ink covers a surface area. when stretched that surface area increases but the ink doesn't.
the ink wont stretch and thin out like the vinyl does. it just covers less of the surface area.
if that makes sense. i haven't tried it. so if you want i would suggest doing a few test prints and see what happens.

i dont think it will help much. the ink covers a surface area. when stretched that surface area increases but the ink doesn't.
the ink wont stretch and thin out like the vinyl does. it just covers less of the surface area.
if that makes sense. i haven't tried it. so if you want i would suggest doing a few test prints and see what happens.
I've just noticed with liked color change vinyls you can get a lot more stretch before discoloration but with print, I get far less. I understand that the color change vinyl is the same color all the way through so it's going to be harder to discolor but I just wanted to see if there's a way possible to get less discoloration with print.

Starter

It is more the print media used that will determine the bruising or stretch. 3M IJ480 for example will stretch without the bruising far better than IJ180. I think more ink saturation could problems for you in regards to lamination and adhesion issues.

AKwrapguy

When I'm printing vehicle wraps, should I be upping the saturation of the print? And if so, will this make it discolor less when stretched? How do I boost saturation in a print?

I am using a Latex 365 with Onyx as my RIP and Illustrator as my design tool. Thanks for any feedback!

With the latex, the inks sits on top of the material rather than 'biting in'. So the saturation doesn't really matter from what I understand. In latex the ink density (which lays down more ink) is used to achieve a more solid or uniform dense color, but it does help with stretch a little. I found that with latex, if you need to stretch it you need to heat as large as area as you can so that the stretch is pulling from a larger area and will discolor less. I also found that with with latex wraps it more important to create extra bleed for this reason.

CL Visual

AKwrapguy is spot on. Only thing that will help is printing on EcoSolvent since those inks actually penetrate and become part of the film rather than sitting on top of the media the way latex does. You can try different medias to see what works best for your needs. There are quite a few premium cast films available.