• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

prints are coming out 2" shorter

Wraps ink

I am running flexi 8.0 and a falcon outdoor 62" and latley my prints are coming out about 2 to 3 inches shorter than the actual measurement in flexi. It only does it when I turn the image or file horizontal and it seems to do it on prints around 40" or longer...everything is set to 100% not sure whats going on anyone have any ideas

Mosh

I know on a roland you have to have the rip projam measure the media or the size will be off.

Wraps ink

it just started within the last month or so..I've never had this problem before and have had the same setup for 4 years

Sticky Signs

don't know much about those printers but I'd check feed calibration and make sure the pinch & grit rollers are clean. Maybe you're leaving some sort of white boarder around the image?

gabagoo

I suppose I should ask if the measurement loss is mathmatical. In other words can you determine from prints just how out a print will be over a defined length? if so until you figure out why you could adjust the size to compensate

noregrets

We had a similar problem with canvas a few years ago - the printer was stretching the canvas as it fed through, so was coming out shorter - significantly shorter on larger prints.....

Not sure if yours will be the same problem though

radiohead223

we had a similar problem and thought it was the brand of vinyl we started to use but after much finger pointing we thought it was just the take up roll tension was set to tight and stretched the roll as it printed

Wraps ink

i changed the step adjust a a week ago ...we had a little micro banding but other than that we havent changed anything I think PF and step adjust are the same thing...maybe

Graphics2u

i changed the step adjust a a week ago ...we had a little micro banding but other than that we havent changed anything I think PF and step adjust are the same thing...maybe
They are the same I believe. When you do the test print for the step adjust is the measurement accurate? Could have the pinch rollers slipping or the supply roll is unwinding hard or something. But to be off 2" in 40", Wow! That's a lot. I think there may be a print size compensation setting in the menu on that printer, could that have gotten changed? Even if your sending it from RIP at 100% the Printer may be adjusting it also.

randya

I dont remember if there is a length compensation in the printer but there certainly is one in the RIP.

It should be step adjust on Falcon's and page feed adjust on ValueJets.

It can be because of feed issues, as the grit roller wears slicker media will have more transport issues.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you put some cheap white vinyl in about 15' or so and print out an accurate ruler 15' long and see if every inch mark is exactly an inch. It could be happening over the entire length or maybe the first foot or even the last two feet. I'd want to know if it was a gradual loss or if the pinchers are dragging from time to time.

ionsigns

SDMP-62J Falcon Outdoor was doing the same for me...PhotoPrint 4.6
I cured problem but don't remember how except it was in the software!

I suspect Flexi as PhotoPrint is SAI product, too.