• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prints are showing up fuzzy

rcripe

I'm printing on a Mimaki JV3-160 SP.
I've attached a picture of a black and white print and the white has fuzzy black in it. What can I do so its pure white?

Attachments

• JV3.jpg
    JV3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 828

rcripe

I rubbed the vinyl down with alcohol and its still giving me the black overspray.
How do I check if there is a deflected nozzle? I'm not good with all the printer terms.

Get a humidifier for the room. My guess is your humidity has been really low. Causing for a lot of static. Get a humidifier in the room and up the humidity some. This will cut down on the static. The alcohol is going to clean the plasticisers off the surface of the material. If static is not your problem then this would have solved it. Since it didn't help I would guess that humidity is the issue.

I believe your humidity should be in the 40%-60% range. While yours is not super low it is lower then what is recommended. With a higher humidity I would have said this is probably not your problem but since it is lower I would check into it. We noticed a big difference at our shop when we put the machine in a air controlled room with a de/humidifier.

DCSMITH

31% is to low i keep mine between 50 and 60 you do not want to go any higher than that though or you will ruin your material

rcripe

Weird thing is, I have a JV33 Mimaki printer in the same room. I printed the same file on that printer and it does just fine. So if its the static in the room wouldn't it be doing it on both printers?

Weird thing is, I have a JV33 Mimaki printer in the same room. I printed the same file on that printer and it does just fine. So if its the static in the room wouldn't it be doing it on both printers?

Not necessarily. One machine might have more surface to rub on then the other. One might be grounded better and releasing some static before it ever makes it to the print zone.

MikePro

had same issue with my machine about 4 years of running it.
assuming your machine is pristine, your black head is on its last legs. if it was static, you would be noticing this overspray on ALL of your printheads, not just isolated to one color.

Aklaim

The head is toast. I just went through this exact same thing on my Roland, the head needs to be replaced.

CarNate69

It's not a static problem. It rarely, if ever, is.

Why would static all of a sudden appear out of no where if he's been printing with the machine in the same place for years?

Why would the static effect only ONE black head, just all of a sudden?

What happened is, he used the print head through normal use, the black channel wore out because it's typical that this happens quicker on the black channel (since it's used more generally, and the black ink make up causes this over time faster than others), the "overspray", (which isn't over spray, it's the head simply losing it's precision more than anything else) wasn't that visible initially, so he kept printing, over time, it became more noticeable as the head wore out more, it now needs replaced...now people blame it on static? Replace the head.

MikePro

Overspray. Here's a link to a very thorough thread on the same topic, same machine.

HAH! blast from the past! reading that thread again, reminded me of my frustration half a decade ago :(

whatever your course of action may be, or plan to take, keep this thread updated and we'll keep trying to chime-in. I'm resisting the urge to write paragraphs of how to diagnose a problem on that machine from point A to Z, because if you don't know what you're doing while servicing/diagnosing then you could be opening a can of worms and wind-up with even more issues than you started-with.
Try searching the forums for "mimaki jv3 overspray / ghosting" and read into everyone's theories/resolutions for a better understanding of how to diagnose your own issue.

of the multiple instances of overspray/ghosting, my fixes were:
*proper alignment - after a printhead replacement, I had been ADDING values to certain alignment procedures rather than replacing them, leading to extreme values that caused hazy prints.
*fresh ink - I'm pretty sure one of my ghosting issues arose from using an ink cartridge that had been sitting on a shelf for a year. which may have settled/seperated causing hazy prints.
*cleaning encoder strip/sensor - I was boggled by string of inconsistantly hazy misprints, turned out there was a light dusting of magenta ink on the lens of the encoder sensor. cleaned it and was quickly back to 100% that same day.
*head replacement - obviously a new head should fire perfectly, if properly installed, and the process of replacing it usually covers all of the above potentials.

noting that static was NOT ever one of my issues. I'm still quite firm on the fact that static-related ghosting is a myth ....especially isolated to a single color channel.
p.s. after switching to latex, my jv3-160sp has been taking up space here in my shop for over a year now. if you want to pickup a cheap backup printer for production/parts, keep me in mind. comes with an assortment of additional parts/ink/heads/tech stuff. :)