• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prints failing

customcreations

I supplied these security graphics 3 years ago. The car sits outside always. The print is brown burnt looking. Orcal calendared vinyl and lam. Prestige 2011 712.jpg

Mosh

3 years...with that material I am NOT suprised.... 210 lam is only a 3-4 year outdoor life film, so what were you expecting?

Richard G

at that angle in the sun it is a good thing that it lasted as long as it did. If you check out any manufacturer of vinyl non of them will warranty any hoods or rooftops. and when using cal. film expect that to happen just as you see it. I have switched to using only cast materials on vehicles. if you do the math it really isn't that much more for cast due to the fact that you won't have to have problems like the one you are having now.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahhh-h-h.... that's the culprit. They got it wet !!

What color was that area supposed to be, if not brown ??

MikePro

i assume you've brought this up to your vinyl supplier already?
if so, i'm sure he replied "because you bought the CHEAP STUFF!"

omgsideburns

I don't know why any vinyl turning brown is ok, regardless of the "quality". Red vinyl turning pink/white, colors lightening, fading, and prints fading to nothing or chalking, cracking, peeling, whatever is totally understandable, but please explain to me why it's ok for vinyl to look burnt or stained. And of course everyone jumps to "oh, you used cheap stuff eh?"

Of course, I use calendered out here in Florida every day, and very rarely do we get total failures. Most of the time it's prints fading out because of the sun and that happens regardless of the quality of the material.

:popcorn:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've seen the "browning" more times than I care for here. Not much on my own product but some for sure. As best as I've been able to surmise it is acid dew that causes is. I see it most often on vehicles that are never garaged and not often parked under any sort of cover such as trees even that would reduce dew settling on the horizontal surfaces. The paint is also more than likely damaged and permanently stained underneath the brown areas as well. Seems some laminates are more susceptible to it than others. Of course the cheapest laminates suffer the worst.

Richard G

This is one of my customers that was warned about using calendared vinyl on the hood here in south Florida (no Warr).

Attachments

• Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 55

Bigdawg

Just Me
Of course, I use calendered out here in Florida every day, and very rarely do we get total failures. Most of the time it's prints fading out because of the sun and that happens regardless of the quality of the material.

:popcorn:

Same here. My main vinyl is 3651. But you are right... out here in the hot Florida sun, the prints fade quickly regardless of how long the manufacturer claims it will last.

But I've seen that same brown happen on 3M wrap material down here too. (Just like Richard shows - but with IJ180cv3) Seems to be (as someone mentioned) hoods and areas that are subject to high heat while the vehicle is running. But 3 yrs? I'd tell them that was the life span (and no - it shouldn't turn brown IMHO, but c'mon... 3 years out of a calendared vinyl on a vehicle is all I tell them it will last to begin with!)