• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prints scratching off

gnatt66

i use GCVP as well. gotta let em dry. and don't fret a laminator, get a 30 inch cradle tool (Big Squeegee).like 60 bucks.

i just did two 27x80 prints with my cradle tool on a table that's only 45 inches long cause i was too lazy to clear off all the framing jobs that were on it. no bubbles, smooth as glass. it will silver a little but it will go away in a day or so.

sid-fmx

Ok, I turned the printer heater up all the to 50 (as far as it goes) and turned off the dryer heater. I thought the heat would be farther back but its under exactly were it prints and is working good, hot. Hmmmm Im stumped. Im open to any ideas, I will let this dry with the new profiles but I think its still going to be bad. Thing is they never scratched off like this before and so easy too.

sid-fmx

I have had this printer for about 2 years, I just do simple work with it so cant say Im anywere near a pro at it yet . I turned off the dryer heater just to make sure the printer heater is working. The heaters are so close together the one will warm the others area
Thanks

chopper

Ok, I turned the printer heater up all the to 50 (as far as it goes) and turned off the dryer heater. I thought the heat would be farther back but its under exactly were it prints and is working good, hot. Hmmmm Im stumped. Im open to any ideas, I will let this dry with the new profiles but I think its still going to be bad. Thing is they never scratched off like this before and so easy too.

the only two things that could cause this issue are:
1..the ink you are using is some how substandard
2..the media you are using is some how substandard

I have had issues with Oracal before but this was awhile ago and a very different problem,
have you recently switched ink carts?
you also stated you tried this on three different rolls of material correct?
if so did you buy all the rolls at the same time?

is there some kind of contamination on the material?
try this wipe the material off with denatured alcohol before you print, the print may look streaked but see if it adheres better if it does I would say there is a problem with the media, but that is just a guess...
//chopper

sid-fmx

I did just change the ink. And I did also buy the 3 rolls at the same time. I will try cleaning a piece of vinyl and test that, thanks!

For the heater, the dryer heater will warm the print area to the touch so was hard to tell and was just trouble shooting to make sure it was working. I have them set 47 50 to see if it helped with the problem but normally have them 40 45.

sfr table hockey

Do you have any other media to print on.. like a banner material to see if it too scratches. Then you may look at the ink as an issue. I agree with you that you should not be able to scratch the ink off like that.

Sign Works

My first thought was that possibly you had mistakingly been sent Eco-Sol ink cartridges instead of Eco-Sol Max and just didn't notice, If I am not mistaken the two look almost identical.

Attachments

• Eco-Sol_Cartridge.jpg
    Eco-Sol_Cartridge.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Eco-Sol_MAX_Cartridge.jpg
    Eco-Sol_MAX_Cartridge.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

sid-fmx

Ok, I tried the alcohol on the oracal and also tried a different brand vinyl aswell and same problem. The new profiles printed yesterday also scratched off with ease. I contacted the Dealer were I bought the ink from (took a second look to make sure it was the eco-sol max) and they said its impossible its the ink, they have never had a problem with it, but thats the only thing it can be. It has to be the ink rite?

Last edited:

sfr table hockey

I was doing some fooling around on some media and printed without any heat. Now this is on a converted CJ 500 but without heat the ink was able to be scratched off. This was done on some clear cling. On some media like banner material it won't even scratch off without heat. Possibly the heater is not as hot as it says or has come loose from the platten. I still got a good looking print without the heat but major difference in scratch resistance.