• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pro4 XR-640 ink configuration change - possible?

feckmo

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible or has any experience changing the ink configuration of a Roland XR-640 Pro4? Ours is setup in white/metallic mode, but we would like to switch it to use light black instead of metallic. We have found the metallic colors extremely underwhelming and very expensive to keep swapping out cartridges that are never used and essentially dumped by the printer during cleaning cycles.

Please let me know if it's possible and/or if anyone has done it.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Yes you can do it. It's pretty simple, you will need those foam pieces that go in the ink slots, and cleaning cartridges for all the slots, even the ones you are not changing over. It's in the manual if I remember right, but I can post it tomorrow if you can't find it.

meritan

I advise you to put in the metalic slot cartridge: Cleaning Cartridge, because the metallic effect will need a day,

feckmo

Thanks, CrystalCoastGraphics! I can't even find my manual (let alone that section), so if you wouldn't mind posting it I'd be forever grateful... :(

feckmo

Hold the phone -- this section states that you can only change the color configuration from CMYKLcLmLkCleaningLiquid to CMYKLcLmLkW or CMYKLcLmMT. Could it really be possible that there is no way to change from CMYKLcLmWMT to CMYKLcLmLkW???

Andrew O

Merchant Member
The nature of the MT pigments means that it is impossible to flush the system completely enough to ensure that there will be no contamination.

feckmo

I'd rather take my chances and let the pigment dissipate over time than continue flushing money into the drain bottle on something we never use. Worse still is that I was assured this was an option before purchasing the printer.

hansman

Hold the phone -- this section states that you can only change the color configuration from CMYKLcLmLkCleaningLiquid to CMYKLcLmLkW or CMYKLcLmMT. Could it really be possible that there is no way to change from CMYKLcLmWMT to CMYKLcLmLkW???

We were told that you could NOT change out the metallic ink when looking to purchase a XR. It ended up being a deciding factor not to purchase one.

feckmo

We were told that you could NOT change out the metallic ink when looking to purchase a XR. It ended up being a deciding factor not to purchase one.

We would likely have done the same thing had I known this. Or, if we had, we would have opted for the light black from the get-go. Our Pro4 was one of the first machines delivered in the northeast, and I figured we'd give metallic a shot since I was told we could switch it out later. I'm extremely frustrated that Roland sales reps did not have consistent information and very, very disappointed that Roland will not support something early-adopters like me were told we could do.

Mike_Koval

maybe check with your dealer...they can possibly provide some help.

being a dealer, we were ALWAYS told by Roland and in service training, once an ink config is loaded, unfortunately it can't be changed back.

nate

We would likely have done the same thing had I known this. Or, if we had, we would have opted for the light black from the get-go. Our Pro4 was one of the first machines delivered in the northeast, and I figured we'd give metallic a shot since I was told we could switch it out later. I'm extremely frustrated that Roland sales reps did not have consistent information and very, very disappointed that Roland will not support something early-adopters like me were told we could do.
Firmware wise, there might be something you can change in the service menu that would let the printer see the new inks. Now, for the flushing-- it's pretty simple to run a new tube for the ink chain, and replace the pump and dampers, etc, without any trouble. Your printer would be free of the metallic.

Nate

CS-SignSupply

No mention of making changes to system switches while in service mode to reset the unit or anything, to then make the change ??

I would definitely get a dealer involved here, the one that sold you the machine preferably.

We do not recommend trying to switch if the original install required white or metallic...

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Talking to your dealer about it would be a good step. If you want to send me a PM with your contact information we can help facilitate that conversation, but I'm sure you can reach out them locally faster than I'm likely to from California.

feckmo

Just an update -- our dealer has helped facilitate a switchover from metallic to light black. We switched to a cleaning cartridge in place of the metallic and ran through the entire thing before doing the conversion and all seems well. Unfortunately, we should have done the same thing with the white since the white had to be switched to the metallic slot as part of the conversion. The light black seems to have easily flushed/overpowered the old white channel, but we'd still advise anyone thinking of a similar conversion to flush both lines with cleaning solution before making the switch.

We did this by printing a 4' x 4' metallic square, returning to origin and repeating around 25 times. We should have done the same thing with the white channel before the switch as well.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing the same thing!

And FWIW, the light black prints are really great on anything with shadows or gradients to white or black. Very happy we made the switch.

hpguardian

Just an update -- our dealer has helped facilitate a switchover from metallic to light black. We switched to a cleaning cartridge in place of the metallic and ran through the entire thing before doing the conversion and all seems well. Unfortunately, we should have done the same thing with the white since the white had to be switched to the metallic slot as part of the conversion. The light black seems to have easily flushed/overpowered the old white channel, but we'd still advise anyone thinking of a similar conversion to flush both lines with cleaning solution before making the switch.

We did this by printing a 4' x 4' metallic square, returning to origin and repeating around 25 times. We should have done the same thing with the white channel before the switch as well.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing the same thing!

And FWIW, the light black prints are really great on anything with shadows or gradients to white or black. Very happy we made the switch.
Do you know how they did it? I want to change my ink config just like you. How did they do it?