• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

probably a rookie mistake

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have this logo that I print for a customer that I need help with. If it's a jpeg, it doesn't seem to be a problem. But when it's a pdf, I will inevitably get one where the magnifying glass is black like in the attached picture. It does have a gradient in it. But if you notice, one of the pdf's is black on the magnifying glass. The other isn't black. It IS discolored. The jpeg came out great. So I ask, why the hell does it print that way?

Attachments

• 20220303_152541.jpg
    20220303_152541.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 20220303_152554.jpg
    20220303_152554.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 113

jeffkics

Sign Says
Probably the RIP software. If it is not a true PDF rip, these things will happen. I convert all my pdfs that have shading in them to jpegs for flexi production manager to my mutoh. My versaworks seems to be ok to my vg2

brdesign

The quick fix is to rasterize the logo and keep the vector line for the plotter. It's probably just some gradient or transparency effect the rip doesn't like.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
only sort of related.... I had a fun head scratcher today. Printing a vehicle wrap, the background is orange and black - tiger stripes. Same background artwork for each side of the vehicle. I printed some of the parts, pulled it off, and continued printing some more. When I pulled that off and set it by the first round - the black was MUCH different - warmer, almost brown. not good.
I checked the files in illy, the black value was the same. I checked to make sure I didn't have a different RIP setting on the "bad" one - nope exactly the same.
I'm using Onyx, so I went into the job editor, color correction tab and use the color replacement tool to see what it had for black value. Low and behold the "bad" print had slightly different cmyk values in there. HOW?! :banghead:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
only sort of related.... I had a fun head scratcher today. Printing a vehicle wrap, the background is orange and black - tiger stripes. Same background artwork for each side of the vehicle. I printed some of the parts, pulled it off, and continued printing some more. When I pulled that off and set it by the first round - the black was MUCH different - warmer, almost brown. not good.
I checked the files in illy, the black value was the same. I checked to make sure I didn't have a different RIP setting on the "bad" one - nope exactly the same.
I'm using Onyx, so I went into the job editor, color correction tab and use the color replacement tool to see what it had for black value. Low and behold the "bad" print had slightly different cmyk values in there. HOW?! :banghead:
Are you using an HP latex machine? I had that problem with an bus I was doing last summer. Every section I printed was a different color orange but the same values. Drove us all nuts.

Boudica

Are you using an HP latex machine? I had that problem with an bus I was doing last summer. Every section I printed was a different color orange but the same values. Drove us all nuts.
no, we don't have a latex printer. I'm printing on an Epson S80600. This is a new one for me! I have a fix, but I'm scratching my head how it occurred in the first place.

Boudica

Did you combine (corel word, not sure in illy) the black background with some other element?
nope, this is what the panel is
1646353843365.png

another fun fact - I've already printed two vehicles with this artwork... It's just this one goofy panel.

ikarasu

nope, this is what the panel is
View attachment 158200

another fun fact - I've already printed two vehicles with this artwork... It's just this one goofy panel.
Different pdf files?

My guess is one of the pdfs have an embedded profile in it.

I'd try to rip both again and see with the color value if it's different. If it is.mm it'd.be interesting if you post the files so others can try and diagnose it!

Weird problems like this fascinate me and I'd play around with it for hours until I figure it out :roflmao:

Boudica

Different pdf files?

My guess is one of the pdfs have an embedded profile in it.

I'd try to rip both again and see with the color value if it's different. If it is.mm it'd.be interesting if you post the files so others can try and diagnose it!

Weird problems like this fascinate me and I'd play around with it for hours until I figure it out :roflmao:
they are actually Eps files. different artboards from the same document. I pulled the offensive file in again - same issue. I just used the color correction tool to make it the same values as the other files, but it's really weird. I still have several panels to print. You can bet that I will be checking each and every file before and during printing.