• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Probably a stupid question.....

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Can ACM be powder coated, or will the curing oven melt the core?

Joe House

Interesting question. Can you give a sample piece to a powder coater to run with another project? Color wouldn't matter, just to test the process?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not only melting the core, but perhaps hampering the integrity of the adhesive holding the aluminum facing on.

Like mentioned, send them a sample, unless THEY already know the answer.​

signbrad

No question is stupid, in my opinion. A question may reflect a person's knowledge or level of expertise at the moment. A newbie will ask newbie questions, for example. But to berate someone for asking is not helpful.

I bet more than one person has attempted powder coating ACM.

Brad in Kansas City

Johnny Best

Mrs. Gray, still remember her, told us that "no question is stupid if you do not know the answer"!
The oven has to get up to 350-400 degrees for powder coating.
Take a small piece (12"x12") and put it in a kitchen oven at that temp and see if it bows or delaminates.

There are shops that do what is called UV powdercoating. It is much the same process but uses UV light to cure the powdercoat. Much shorter duration and much lower heat. This gives you the ability to powder coat wood, plastic, certain kinds of rubber and most likely ACM. You would have to find a shop that does it and probably send them a sample. But it is possible.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Customer asked for it specifically, I normally wouldn't bother. They are a metal place and likely have their own oven so trying to keep costs down, I guess.
Thanks