• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem: Edge 2 to GSXplus off cuts...

deadbymorning

Hey guys,
I am having problems with the gsx cutting at what looks like a different aspect ratio than what is on screen. The print comes out correctly but the cut is slightly off. Oddly enough I only started getting this problem recently and it seems to happen mainly on longer jobs. Does anyone know what the ratio is from the Edge 2 to the GSXPlus. Any help at this point would be awesome.

Omega 1.56
Composer 1.56

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The GSX is the second choice behind the Envision 375 for matching to an Edge printer but still should not be missing by as much as you indicate.

As far as your monitor not matching, that's probably an issue of your monitor adjustment for horizontal or vertical size. To correct that, draw a circle or a square in Omega and then adjust your monitor accordingly so they look equal in height and width.

There is a calibration test you can run to test and correct alignment problems between the Edge and the GSX. These are included with Omega and should be found at C:\Jobs\Calibrat\Calibrat.plt on your computer.

There are also other issues to be aware of. There is a built-in design flaw with the Edge whereby the actual position of the image will shift on the x-axis depending on how much foil remains in the cartridge. For example, if you have two colors touching and one color is printed with a 3/4 used cartridge while the second color comes from a new full cartridge, you will get a mismatch as high as .05". It can be very noticeable.

In your situation, a good workaround is to set your target to be the color that is the same as where the cutpath is. That way any error is duplicated in both the color at the cutpath and the alignment target.

Hope this helps.

Dale Horn

I'm always left wondering if there's anything Fred does not know about the Edge... you've come to the right place.

Regarding the foils - on the 100 yard foils it helps to even them up by cutting off the used foil so the cartridges have the same amount of used foil on them. Duracoat seems to be more vulnerable. Moving the foils to a Gerber, Caxton/Zeronine cartridge helps.

Cutter alignment - looks like it's time for a thorough cleaning, print/cut calibration and plotter X-Y axis test. Check that your punching on your vinyl is accurate and the holes are not being stretched by gummed up sprockets.

deadbymorning

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I frased the question wrong though. The gsx is making off cuts. It seems like the cut line is shifting up. I am going to check-out the print/cut calibration and plotter X-Y axis test. And maybe that will work. I didnt know that the foil lengths were the cause to my off prints though! Thanks for the info!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's often very difficult to isolate in these situations as to whether the problem is being caused by where the Edge prints or where the plotter cuts.

Please post back as to what you finally find that provides the fix so others can benefit.

Dale Horn

deadbymorning said:
OK how do I do the calibration test? I found the file but once I output it how do I adjust the problem!?

Generally the steps are:
- print the calibrate file that has a bunch of black bars with letters identifying them
- cut the print and see which letter the cutter is cutting a bar off
- go into Omega (gspplot) under the plotter settings
- enter the settings and once you save them as your preferences a star will appear next to the Gsx cutter in the list indicating its calibrated

deadbymorning

OK well I decided that when in doubt reading the manual helps. I gave the machines a real good cleaning and calibrated them and it seems like the problems is all fixed! Thanks for the help!