Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Importing file Into COMPOSER

Discussion in 'Gerber Omega, Graphix Advantage & MacImprint' started by animenick65, Feb 13, 2007.

1. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    We have a customer supplied file in .ai format. I brought it into Illy and it looks fine. I try importing it into Omega Composer (version 1.6) and only part of the text shows up for some reason. I've done this probably 100 times and never seen this before. Design is very simple. I'd recreate it but don't have the font. Fonts are converted to outlines in Illy and clipping masks released. Can't figure out what the problem is! Any ideas?

Tags:
  2. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Hi,
    Try re-exporting it from Illustrator as a "Legacy AI" and in a lower version (try 3). We've done this on occassion when we have problems with Omegas import filter.

3. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Bring it into your own Illy program, then export it from your Illustrator program but be sure to save it down to 3.0 or .88. Omega 1.6 doesn't import later Illy files well.

Hope that helps.

4. animenick65

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    GVP, I thought of that and tried with no luck. :help:Thanks for the input though!

5. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Have you checked for multiple copies of shapes - one over the other?

6. animenick65

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've tried that too. Composer is so buggy when bringing in other types of files that i've pretty much come across everything except this. This sucks!

7. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    Send me the file and I'll see if I can get it to work for you.

8. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    One final suggestion - it sometimes works. Save from Illustrator as an EPS rather than an AI and then try importing that?

9. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    There are two different AI and EPS import filters in Composer. If one doesn't work you should try the other one.

Save the file back to a version 3 in Illustrator ... either AI or EPS. When you open it in Composer, scroll down or up depending on which import filter you were using and select the other similar filter from the list.

10. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

What version of AI ?
    What version of Omega ?

11. animenick65

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Fred, you were right on with the different import settings. I had been using the Omega .eps setting in that drop down box in the import/open window. I switched it to the regular .eps and it worked! Really weird. I owe ya a :beer Thanks all!

12. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    There are many different flavors of EPS. It's good to have an alternate path. :thumb: