• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem trying to open a file

abadsvt

I used a few different files (.cdr) yesterday but this morning when i tried to open the files it wont let me. It says that it has "encounterd an improper argument". Any ever have this problem? It has completely shut me out of multiple files but a few files still open and work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Josh

I have corel draw x5 and corel draw 12 (two computers)

abadsvt

Thanks for the help guys. The files were x5 files to start with. It is almost like the file is corrupted but theres no reason why it should be becuase it was file the day before. I love corel but times like this where i lost a couple customer files i feel like switching to illy. I have tried everything that i am aware about so i guess i will just triple save everything from hear on out.

Josh

sjm

Never understood the popularity of Corel, though I suppose it does have it's non mainstream fan base.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Never understood the popularity of Corel, though I suppose it does have it's non mainstream fan base.

Corel, Adobe, and all the others are fungible. They are all pretty much the same.

The might not all do the same things in the same way but they all can produce the same result. Such that you cannot tell if an image was made with one or the other.

Thinking that one is superior to another is simple Chauvinism and/or merely not knowing any better. In your case I would opt for the latter.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thanks for the help guys. The files were x5 files to start with. It is almost like the file is corrupted but theres no reason why it should be becuase it was file the day before. I love corel but times like this where i lost a couple customer files i feel like switching to illy. I have tried everything that i am aware about so i guess i will just triple save everything from hear on out.

Josh

Have you tried opening a new empty file in X5 then instead of opening the problem file try to import it into the new blank file.
Import can some times parse(?) out the bad parts that are stopping them from opening and pull in everything that can still be used.
This has worked a couple of times for me with earlier versions of Draw.
X5 does not work well for me under 64bit Win7 so I am using X3 while I wait for the first X5 service pack.

wayne k
guam usa

Bungy

Corel is pretty mainstream. Like Adobe, millions of users worldwide.

Back in the late 80's - early 90's it depended on the computer you used.
If you used a PC - you bought Corel.
If you used a mac you bought Adobe.

Bungy

Corel X5 runs on a Mac? Illustrator supports both platforms.
they do now. hasn't always been that way.
As I said, late 80's - early 90's, Adobe was mac only.
Corel had 90% of the PC market for Graphics.
The last version of Corel that was written for mac was Ver 11.
They didn't have the user base to warrant the expense of further development so the mac version disappeared.

In the early 90's digital imaging was starting out, I was a photographer in the Air Force (Aust) and we wanted to be early adopters of the technology. The whole defence force at that time, was PC/Windows, we wanted to run Photoshop for image retouching, best software back then as well. Only way to do that was to buy a mac, back then it was the G3/G4 - had to go through Air Command to get it approved so Photo sections could have macs. You couldn't buy a windows version of Photoshop.

sjm

they do now. hasn't always been that way.
As I said, late 80's - early 90's, Adobe was mac only.
Corel had 90% of the PC market for Graphics.
The last version of Corel that was written for mac was Ver 11.
They didn't have the user base to warrant the expense of further development so the mac version disappeared.

In the early 90's digital imaging was starting out, I was a photographer in the Air Force (Aust) and we wanted to be early adopters of the technology. The whole defence force at that time, was PC/Windows, we wanted to run Photoshop for image retouching, best software back then as well. Only way to do that was to buy a mac, back then it was the G3/G4 - had to go through Air Command to get it approved so Photo sections could have macs. You couldn't buy a windows version of Photoshop.

Pre-date you a few years. DEC, Data General, Perkin-Elmer were doing some fancy stuff with E-stats.