• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem - Vinyl Peeling

We lettered a painted aluminum propane tanker about 6 months ago (using Gerber 220 High Performance Dark Green) and the vinyl is lifting at the top of the lettering, but only the top line. Odd part is that all of the lettering underneath the top line is perfectly fine. Top line of lettering is peeling on drivers side, passenger side and rear of tank. Could the harsh weather conditions here in NY have caused this to happen ? We are wondering if, as the ice/snow slid down the tanker, could if have lifted the vinyl? Any other ideas/reason why this would happen ?

WrapperX

Of course that could be a possibility. It seems unlikely since vinyl is applied to surfaces attacked by harsh winters all the time. I wonder if the surface wasn't cleaned high enough. What sort of material is being hauled by the tanker. is it a top loaded tanker - does it get filled from a top port? If so, maybe whatever its haulling maybe be dripping down the from top and attacking the adhesives. hard telling really. Could be alot of things or it could be just one thing.

Mosh

Was the paint on the tank new? If not those things are hard to clean, they get oxidized and stuff will not stick.

Craig Sjoquist

I enjoy hearing this ... since I hand paint ... when vinyl came to town they would bash paint up one side down the other all day long every which way. ( still here this )

Wonders how much is peeling ...if just a little bit can you cut the top edge by hand, then use a vinyl edge sealer and all will be fine ??

Could be when they fill the tank that the top area get more extreme temperature extreme cold when filled & hot sun as it also empties at stops .. would think this more if a larger top areas are peeling.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Aluminum "Propane" tanker. I'm thinking aluminum may not be what they made the tanker out of considering the pressure involved in storing propane. Are you sure it's not stainless? And if it is I really don't recommend putting vinyl on stainless, been there done that, nothing but a pain.:cool:
"By the way, welcome from the midwest

Fitch

Lets see a photo.

But off the top of my head I would say it is almost impossible for this to happen on all three sides.

I would suggest that this is customer related - most likely high pressure washer - hand or mechanical.

Cheers - G

Tony McD

..... maybe it's from the down stroke of their scrub brush ?
wouldn't think so, but do they use too stiff a brush ?
If it was a brush doing it, seems like it might look more scratched than peeled.

Thanks for your help everyone. Just to answer a few questions, it is a painted aluminum tanker that carries propane I did ask the customer about the lettering getting damaged during washing, but they said they don't power wash or scrub brush the truck. My worker bees assured me that they wiped down the vehicle completely, using the correct process ... and I trust them. Craig, I appreciate hearing that you still hand paint, as my grandfather & father started this business & were a talented hand letterers. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit their talent for hand lettering, but I'm pretty good with design, so vinyl works perfect.

After I posted yesterday, my co-worker passed the same type of vechicle (that we did not letter) and it was peeling in the exact same way that ours is ... only the top line, and only the top of the lettering, & on both sides. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm ...

Thanks again for the advice & warm welcome,

Lisa

Billct2

I would say it's either of two things or a combination of them...
Rain/snow/washing solutions running down the side and hitting the top edge of the vinyl
and/or that is the fill line and there is temperature thing going on that causes the tank to freeze/sweat at that point.

Thanks Bill, those are the two different scenarios that I keep coming back to. We have had such a horrible winter here, I wonder if, as the ice or snow on top of the tanker melted, slid down and then refroze, if it may have rested on top of that top line of lettering and caused it to expand/contract to the point where it started to peel. The other scenario about the fill line makes sense also, since the tank is filled to 85% capacity, this puts the fill line almost exactly to where the vinyl is peeling.

To everyone, my dilemma is, do I replace the lettering for free ? Or charge them my cost ? (This company has been a loyal customer for over 20 years.) Or chalk it up to environmental conditions that are beyond my control and charge regular price ?

Billct2

Under that scenerio I would replace them for free, with the understanding that you believe it is neither a problem with the material or installation but with the "environment".
I would also seal that edge

royster13

Are contents very cold when under pressure?....Just thinking out load that it might be cold from inside that is the problem...

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod.

The temperature difference above and below the "fill" line could be part of the problem especially if the "peel" line is the same on all three sides. If they clean the tank with chemicals, even mild ones, starting by applying chemicals at the top, and the tank is full to the "peel" line, you have found the culprit.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

We've had the exact same kind of vinyl failure, but it was definitely a stainless steel tanker. The tops of all the lettering is literally falling off. We now know not to apply vinyl to stainless.

Steve

CanuckSigns

We've had the exact same kind of vinyl failure, but it was definitely a stainless steel tanker. The tops of all the lettering is literally falling off. We now know not to apply vinyl to stainless.

Steve

What is it about stainless steel that causes failures? we have applied a bit of vinyl to stainless, and havn't had any failures yet.