• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem - Vinyl Peeling

Billct2

Yes, applying directly to stainless or aluminum can be a problem, but she said the tanks were painted.
The biggest problem with applying vinyl to aluminum or stainless is usually in the prep/cleaning.

Here's my attempt at attaching a picture for those who have asked ... hope it works.

Attachments

• Peeling Vinyl.jpg
    Peeling Vinyl.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 59
Definitely something running down from the top either when cleaning, filling or snow and dirt. When you replace the vinyl seal the edges of it. That should help a little.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no application failure there. Either the truck was contaminated and not cleaned good enough.... which I doubt.... or something is contaminating it afterwards.

It doesn't make sense that the tops are doing it and not the other upper areas.
u peeling.jpg

Sounds like a lot to ask, but can we see some other letters instead of just one. It would really help if we could see like the top line of copy so we can see the overall problem. Uniformity will tell us more.

:thankyou:

I only have close ups of the letters (similar to the one I previously posted) & this pic of the logo that is on the rear of the tank.

Attachments

• Peeling Logo 2.jpg
    Peeling Logo 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 59

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Both colors are peeling. It looks as though you put the green down first and then overlaid the yellow. It still appears that something is running down and lifting your vinyl. However, how it runs down and only attacks certain areas and not others is rather peculiar. If the vehicle had been contaminated to start with [improper cleaning].... it would've had to contaminate the vinyl before you overlaid it for the second color to peel, also.

Generally, when company's clean these things, it's from top to bottom. They let gravity do most of the work. With this rear picture, I don't know why they'd be cleaning this harder or using more chemicals than on the side.

It doesn't look like the vinyl was installed improperly, but you might have to do this over for nothing. The manufacturer will probably find an excuse, but if they're nice, they'll at least replace your material cost.

I'd place a claim with your distributor and in the meantime, make full sure... your people are cleaning this correctly.

The only thing I would say could be your fault is if someone used the wrong application fluid if you used any at all.