Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Problem with 3M Matte Black Controltac

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bERT bRYAN, Feb 27, 2020.

1. bERT bRYAN

bERT bRYAN New Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Paragould, AR
    Hey guys new member here. 2 times lately I've had problems after using 3M matte black controltac. One time I lettered a flat poly carb face, and another time I lettered a poly carb pan face. Both times it was full coverage with reverse weed lettering. Both faces bubbled up like crazy after 2 or 3 weeks. I cleaned both with 70% alcohol, layed the vinyl dry. The pan face was facing south and catching a lot of sun, but the matching one was facing north and did not bubble up. It was almost like the poly carb was out gassing. Has anybody else had this problem?

Tags:
  2. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Polycarb does outgas. Were they fresh new faces?

3. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Unless treated, polycarbonate is hydroscopic. So full coverage non permeable films will bubble especially if there is a heat source behind it.

4. bERT bRYAN

bERT bRYAN New Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Paragould, AR
    Yes they were new faces straight from the supplier. Do you have to give them some cure time possibly?

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    +1 hydroscopic polycarb. its a curse really.

6. bERT bRYAN

bERT bRYAN New Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Paragould, AR
    Oh wow, I never knew that about Polycarbonate. Is there a way to treat them to avoid this? And I've never had this problem with translucent, is it a permeable vinyl as opposed to the matte black controltac I've been using?