• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Problem with 3M Matte Black Controltac

bERT bRYAN

Hey guys new member here. 2 times lately I've had problems after using 3M matte black controltac. One time I lettered a flat poly carb face, and another time I lettered a poly carb pan face. Both times it was full coverage with reverse weed lettering. Both faces bubbled up like crazy after 2 or 3 weeks. I cleaned both with 70% alcohol, layed the vinyl dry. The pan face was facing south and catching a lot of sun, but the matching one was facing north and did not bubble up. It was almost like the poly carb was out gassing. Has anybody else had this problem?

bERT bRYAN

Unless treated, polycarbonate is hydroscopic. So full coverage non permeable films will bubble especially if there is a heat source behind it.
Oh wow, I never knew that about Polycarbonate. Is there a way to treat them to avoid this? And I've never had this problem with translucent, is it a permeable vinyl as opposed to the matte black controltac I've been using?