• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with channel letters with blue face

biggmann

We just did a set of letters for a client and they were specific on the blue used for the faces of the letters but now they are saying it is hard to read and I agree with them it is very hard to read the name. Is there an option for making the letters more legible such as brighter leds or white acrylic with blue film? Just looking for some advice here since we have never done dark color faces like this before.

Marlene

how did you make the blue? what shade of blue is it? blue lighted letters tend to look less sharp compared to a white or red. you can use white acrylic and blue translucent vinyl. you might also try leaving a white outline around the blue to help sharpen the letter. Rite-Aid using the day/night vinyl so the letters are blue during the day and light white at night. that might be an idea too for you job

Billct2

Blue channel letters are notoriously hard to read.
One solution is a white outline, white faces with translucent vinyl leaving a border of white.

biggmann

That sounds like a great idea, I will present that to the customer and tell him this is the best option.

signs20

Physiology is the problem

That sounds like a great idea, I will present that to the customer and tell him this is the best option.

The eye is least sensitive to blue. That is a physiological fact. Not much to do to correct that. The eye is most sensitive to white and yellow. That has been a problem around here. Some folks specified blue and then had to change to make the sign more readable. Some architects don't know this either.

rossmosh

What material/method did you use to achieve the blue face? That sounds like the problem more than anything else. Companies like Marshall's, Allstate, Coldwell Banker, and CitiBank have used blue channel letters for a long time with reasonable success.

jprbsign

When making lighted signs and choosing colors, for us, it is more important that the sign lights well and looks good at night than it is to match the exact color the customer specs. 2051 Blue has been a descent blue to use and we sometimes get away with 2050 for GEICO if there is not a lot of ambient light, but we always look at a sample on the light table before letting the customer have the final say on what they want their sign to look like. If they still do not believe us then we take them samples and show them. Then if they still pick the color and don't like the final product it is on them.

signbrad

[QUOTEBlue channel letters are notoriously hard to read.][/QUOTE]

It's the channel letter blues.:cool:

Yes, an outline will help.