• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with edge of prints curling?

GoodPeopleFlags

When we print graphics to the edge of the vinyl and apply it to any type of board, the edges always curl up. We have an Epson GS6000 and using Oracal 3615RA Vinyl. Does anyone else have this problem?

GoodPeopleFlags

The problem with laminating is that most of our jobs don't need it. We do alot of temp 18x24 coros. I'm trying to remember to leave about 1/4" of white space around the edges.

It doesn't seem to matter if we apply it right away or let it sit for a day or 2. It still curls.

That doesn't happen to anyone else?

HulkSmash

Bluefish,
It's the amount of ink on the cheap oracle material you're using. Too much saturation on the material. You shouldn't be worried about the 45 cents your going to spend on laminate to make the job look better and last longer. It doesn't matter how temp. the sign is. You should always laminate. At least for me it keeps customers coming back more and more because the quality is better.

boxerbay

switch to 3640G. let your prints outgas completely before mounting. Wipe the coro with a rag and alcohol to remove any of the mfg residue before mounting.

GoodPeopleFlags

I tried a print test with changing the ink density and the colors changed ALOT. So, is there a way to change the ink density without it changing the color?

It still happens even when the prints sit around for a day or so. The material is clean.

I've gotten in the habit of avoiding the issue as much as possible by leaving 1/4" around the edges unprinted when possible. Sometimes it's not possible so I'd really like to figure out how to keep it from happening. Looks like no one else is having the problem, tho, so we'll just deal with it. Thanks!

artbot

i don't do vinyl, but with my work corners/edges curling is caused by the material either shrinking after mounting or being over stretched during lamination which would cause it to attempt to return to it's original size.

the discussion with too heavy coverage might possibly be a secondary issue in which the heavy amount of solvent causes a bit of shrinking (just guessing).