• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with lighted sign vinyl

tebond

I put yellow translucent vinyl on a white face for an outline and then put black opaque vinyl on top of that for the lettering, at night the black appears grey. What can I do to make the overlay black look black when the sign is illuminated.

jfiscus

Rap Master
If the new opaque black still appears gray, the easiest fix I can see is to apply another layer of black over it.

tebond

I used Oracal calendered. I did not expect this problem. I was thinking of putting another layer of black on it but I have fine sharp serifs, tough to line up. I guess I could trim with a knife.

skyhigh

how about using the correct product for the job. Opaque vinyls are not translucent vinyl.....although they may be somewhat (just not the right colors). And DON'T layer vinyls on a lighted sign. What made you think that would be ok to do?????

Marlene

how about using the correct product for the job. Opaque vinyls are not translucent vinyl.....although they may be somewhat (just not the right colors). And DON'T layer vinyls on a lighted sign. What made you think that would be ok to do?????

opaque black should be OK to use on a lighted sign when you want an area that lets no light threw. not sure why the yellow translucent is showing threw the black, what brand are you using? I agree never layer on a lighted sign, but I am suprised the black didn't block out all the light as it should have.

skyhigh

opaque black should be OK to use on a lighted sign when you want an area that lets no light threw.

I can tell you, Oracal cast appears to be a "block out" opaque. Not sure about calendered vinyl tho. Evidently not.

Billct2

You have to use an opaque black, I use Arlon or 3M cast. I never use translucent black, and I have never had a problem. And in this case, black with a yellow outline I don't see and issue with laying the black on top of the yellow.
At this point you either have to strip an do again or add a second layer.

Marlene

I use Gerber 220 black on lighted signs and have never had it not block out. has the OP said what brand yet? also, never never never use calendar vinyl for a sign that needs to last more than a day. that junk is for short term use. people do use it and you can tell as it is the stuff that is falling off the sign in no time.

tebond

My apologies, I double checked the black vinyl I used, It was Oracal cast vinyl, black 651 series. I figure I need to re-do, the best option is to find the right black to be black when the sign is lit.

gabagoo

I am pretty sure 651 is calendered....

3 ml calendered black can be seen through..I know this as we have a piece up on a window here and i can see right through it during the day.

tebond

It says on my chart cast vinyl... Am wondering if my supplier gave me the wrong vinyl, I don't have the box anymore to be sure .

Billct2

don't know what chart you have but the one in front of me says 651 is intermediate calendered

skyhigh

Why would it not be? If the black is going to be opaque with a translucent yellow outline what difference could it possibly make?

true.....I stand corrected on this particular application.

Of course, if he didn't overlay the yellow, then the black wouldn't be gray, would it? :tongue:

If he had used a true block-out vinyl, then I see no problem doing it the way he did.

ps. 651 is calendared vinyl. Always used to be anyways. I don't use it.

skyhigh

Jhill, I don't know, as I've never experimented using the wrong materials for the job. I suppose you are correct. Lets say the yellow changed the hue of the gray. LOL

Moot point......
If in doubt, wouldn't you throw a chunk of the vinyl against your desk light BEFORE you threw a chunk on your SIGN?

POST 7 (modified)
I can tell you, Oracal 751 cast IS DEFINITELY a "block out" opaque. Not sure about calendered vinyl tho. Evidently not.

Last edited:

tebond

A Lot of Good information from all of you, Thanks. I did lay the yellow first and then the black on top of that, I'll try one of the black block out vinyls recommended, it is definately be re-doing the sign. Have to keep the customer happy, you know.