• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with printing black

No Name

Hi all,

my Rockhopper will not print black as it should.
I know that the first thing is to make sure that the print heads are clean and all the nozzles work as they should (well, the black is still 85%). That´s been done.
Dampers seem to be ok, but the black is about half and the others are full. Why?

I disconnected the black damper and it seems there was air in the piping so i took a serenge and carefully sucked the ink through the piping to the serenge,
pumped carefully the ink to the damper and connected it.

After this printing went on pretty good until black started to disappear, 15 inches later no black at all. And the damper is EMPTY!
Is there some sort of a pump (must be) near the cartridge that pumps the ink. Could that be the problem?

Any / all ideas are welcomed.

No Name

37 views, no replies.
Does it mean that it was stupid question or that does it mean none of them had no idea?

heyskull

These run the Epson DX4 head I believe?
I reckon the manifold is leaking either where it goes into the damper or the rubber O ring at the base of the manifold.

Hope this Helps
SC

graceman

Your machine is Rockhopper 1 aka Falcon Outdoor or Rockhopper 38 aka Falcon Junior? I suspect cracked plastic tubing for K channel. Air gets in and ink goes quickly back to cart. I've seen this a couple of times.
Or bad seal in K part of capping station in case you have Rockhopper 38.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If your black damper empties during printing there is an air leak above the print head. I would check the ink line thoroughly for any cracks or other damage. Also check the manifold for damage that may be letting air in. If everything looks good, change the damper and o-ring and that should fix the problem of the damper emptying.

Once the ink is staying in the damper, your head should be able to fire 100%. If it doesn't, the head is either clogged/damaged and/or you have maintenance station issues. My bet is the dampers and maintenance station haven't been changed in over a year or more so the head is starting to clog.

No Name

I managed to make it work better, not 100% yet still.
All other colours print as they should but black still leaves white (inkless) lines.

I guess it might be time to renew the printhead :)banghead:) I just wish it wasn´t so expensive part.
Does any of you happen to have one spare? :thumb: