• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem with updating Gerber EDGE FX firmware

mjames

Premium Subscriber
After sending the BUILD 16 file to the FX, the following screen appears: SYSTEM UPDATE MODE, CANCEL
After that nothing happens.

netsol

If I am understanding, you still have a <cancel> option

Use it

I suspect you need to read the upgrade matrix and will discover you can not upgrade from your current firmware to the one you chose

netsol

If there is no reversing this process, you may need to get a formatter board, or whatever the firmware writes to. It might be possible to get a used board on eBay or from the plotter doctor, or,potentially to replace the ic chip that holds the firmware.

netsol

It seems the updates can only be done from internet explorer, not any of the newer browsers.
I googled Gerber edge fox firmware rollback

netsol

We struggle with this type of thing all the time.
Microsoft gave us SILVERLIGHT a development platform, since discontinued. Software developed in silverlight can only run, and be updated in internet explorer.

You would think, since Microsoft developed all the pieces of this little horror,
Make sure you are using internet explorer. Chrome and Edge browsers don't work very reliably.
Adam, I assume it is waiting for you to do SOMETHING to initiate the cancel Command

Adam.Foster

If you are using Internet Explorer the edge will go into update mode when you send the update file. The Edge should start receiving it and reboot when completed. Typically takes a few minutes. If the edge doesn't reboot something isn't working. Try connecting the edge directly to the PC no hub, switch or network between the 2 just 1 cable direct from PC to edge.

netsol

i cant get this to work, @adamFoster :/ what is the actual latest Gerber Edge FX update. 16?
You can no longer use internet explorer

Microsoft has taken it away from us.
You need to setup IE compatibility mode in order to continue

One of my largest clients just went through this.
I just went through setting up IE compatibility mode in windows 10
Fairly involved process, I can send instruction docs for windows 10 pro.
If you are not in pro, IT GETS COMPLICATED because you need group policy editor to follow the documents I was given

I will post my 7 page document (as well as a one page simplification)
I just spent 3 days updating 70 warehouse computers for a very important client

netsol

You need to run all your windows updates, until, until it says you are current
You need to visit a site and download the very latest Microsoft edge as well as POLICY DOCUMENTS
you need to extract files & copy a few to the correct folders
You need to use the Microsoft tool to make a special sites list enumerating the sites you need to operate in IE mode
You need to copy sites list to your computer
You need to use policy editor to enable IE mode

Then run your firmware updates

It is a HUGE pain in the ass but IT WORKS

sadly, this is what Microsoft END OF LIFE PROCESS does for us
I will post my document in a couple hours & I will watch this thread

netsol

here is the "step by step" we followed when we had to make a management console developed in silverlight (only runs in internet explorer) run in edge IE compatability mode

have a look & i can cut through some of the garbage for you. this is going to be quite a problem going forward. no one is interested in updating the firmware update process for End of Life products. the gerber edge is just too useful to let them die.

Attachments

• IEModeSetupGuidanceWithPictures (2).zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 104

netsol

i may be making this into an engineering problem, where it is not necessary
this is the solution for those who still need to access a site in Internet Explorer repeatedly day to day

THAT IS NOT THE CASE FOR YOU. you only need it to work once or twice. (gerber is through making firmware updates for these devices)

why not, use a windows restore point?
you can GO BACK 30 days in your windows settings (you do not lose documents or files, only windows configurations)

prior to june 1, there was no windows update inhibiting functions in internet explorer, so you should be able to follow the gerber instructions and complete your update without interference.
e
FOR ANYONE WHO NEEDS REPEATED ACCESS TO SOMETHING IN INTERNET EXPLORER follow my instructions in the previous posts

Adam.Foster

Internet Explorer is still active on windows computers and will give you a message its no longer supported but if you hit continue it will still let you get to the Edge FX webpage to update firmware or install FireFiles. The only thing that doesn't work is Internet explorer accessing the internet which is not needed to update edge FX firmware. To get to Internet Explorer click on your windows START button and type in "IE" without the quotes. Then click on the link for internet explorer (not Edge) Ignore the messages about it not being supported and downloading/ installing the Microsoft Edge browser. Enter the IP address of your Gerber Edge FX and it will take you to the Gerber edge FX webpage.