• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem working with PLT file in Flexi 7.6V2

Sign Depot

I have a lot of PLT files that I have created over the years before I switched over to Flexi. I am able to import them into Flexi but any time I try to print them I Export the file as an EPS and print using Roland Versaworks. Everything looks fine except the printer prints a light haze on all the white areas rather than leaving them clear ( white ). I have tried setting it to print matt clear or white in Flexi and it does the same thing. If I set it to no Fill the letters disappear. For instance if I have a decal that is a black background with white letters and I set the letters to no fill they turn black. Any help resolving this would be appreciated. (I am using a Roland SP 540 printer)

Scott

thewood

This most likely has nothing to do with PLT files and everything to do with your printer. Do you get this haze on other file types?

Sign Depot

It only happens to PLT files. If I creat a new job in Flexi it works fine. I just set the white areas to no fill and it prints perfect.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Why it is happening likely has more than one reason but will ultimately come down to experimenting with your color profiles in Flexi before or at the time you export as EPS. PLT files that are using spot colors in vectors will need one solution and PLT files that are using raster images will need a different solution.

Sign Depot

The other thing I don't understand is why does the lettering turn black when I select no fill. If you do that to the same design that is created in Flexi it will remain white.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No. You are going from an Edge setup through Flexi to EPS and then on to Versaworks. When you bring the file into Flexi, any spot colors are changed to percentage fills and will be controlled by your color settings in Flexi. Any images will also be modified by your Flexi color settings. See Edit > Color Settings in Flexi. When you export that to EPS, the profiles and rendering intent will go along with it ... so what was white now has a haze. When you go from EPS to Versaworks, you get another profile interaction and another opportunity to select an output profile which will affect the haze and the colors in each print as well.

Sign Depot

Under coloring settings where you select the printer and profile there is an option to select -- Soft proof preserves white point -- should that box be checked?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Under coloring settings where you select the printer and profile there is an option to select -- Soft proof preserves white point -- should that box be checked?

Don't know ... you will have to go trial and error until you find a combination that works for your setup. In Omega, their color management setup includes adjustments for black and white points to deal with hazing. An educated guess is that by running your PLT files through a different path than straight to a printer from Omega, you are losing those settings.

Drip Dry

I think your problem is that it's trying to print some form of white.
You can check in the Fill Editor and click on the advanced tab to see
if it's printing some combination of ink.

But, the easiest thing to do is to select all the white objects and then use
your Eyedropper tool and click anywhere on the screen. ( I'm talking about the white area that your layout is on) Then export it and print.

Your other problem with assigning a no fill and the object turns black, I think that there is a layer over a layer, meaning two exact objects on top of each other (usually caused by the importing function from gerber to flexi)
I never export from Gerber to Flexi but have this problem all the time when
I export into Gerber.Once you set the top layer to no fill, you are now looking at the layer below that has a black fill assigned to it.

So, first thing you need to do is make sure the 2 objects are not grouped,
combined, or masked together. Then select the object and delete it. It should disappear...this would be a good time to do a screen refresh. If you see the object again ( and it likely will be black)select that object and set it to no fill. Export it and print it.

JT