• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems removing vinyl

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm removing a wrap from a 8'x24' trailer. Relatively smooth sailing, however, there are some areas where the adhesive didn't want to come off - or I slipped a little and pulled the vinyl off where there wasn't enough heat. OK, I figured move on and go back with adhesive remover. I took a little break and went back to remove the adhesive and it seems like the finish is off too? How can this happen if the adhesive is still on? Or am I not going slow enough with my heat gun and ruining the finish? Posted a pic, those particles are from my rag. Now what do I do?

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 281

rjssigns

Trailer panels have the absolute bare minimum paint or powdercoat on them. Nature of the beast to have some of it lift here and there. If you're installing a new graphic clean and paint the area. If the new graphic doesn't cover the damaged area you will never get it to match.

Above information comes from clients that own a tractor/trailer shop that does repair and wraps.

Stacey K

I like making signs
ddarlk: It feels sticky but when I remove the adhesive it's still dark. I'm guessing the finish is coming off in areas.
rjayssigns: Yes, I can see there is a bare minimum finish. He has no use for the trailer so he's selling it once the graphics are removed.
Texas: I've not had many issues if they are painted a color but since this is a metal finish, there's very little finish.
Not much I can do except go slowly and make sure it's heated before I pull it off, at least that's what I've figured out thus far.
Thanks all!

Stacey K

I like making signs
BTW - these graphics have been on for about 12+ years so it's not like they are fresh and pretty anymore lol

Stacey K

I like making signs
have you tried a "zapper" wheel?
I do have one and am going to try it today on one spot to see what happens. What I found was if I heated the adhesive and rubbed it off it didn't seem to take off the finish but if I use my remover chemical it took the finish off with the adhesive. I'm a little afraid to try the wheel but I'll try it on a small spot near the bottom of the trailer. Thank you!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't take much to remove the finish on old trailers. Adhesive removers seem to soak in and soften the thin layer of paint and when you come back and clean it with alcohol the paint wipes right off.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Curious how many hours would people expect this project to take? 8' x 24' two sides, no back or front, full wrap on both sides. I have everything off except one door - the door is a nightmare, I will have to use my zapper wheel to remove about half of the vinyl on the door.